Portable Irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by start2finish, Mar 31, 2008.

1. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys, you don't see me posting much in the irrigation section, but we probably install 10 systems a year. always included with a big landscape install.

anyway I am tired of having a mediocre lawn at my home 4+ acres of turf. I am working on designing a system to pump water from my pond which is about 1000 feet from my lawn.

I am looking into a small reel type sprinkler for this. ammadas 120B

I don't need a automated system, but the ability to water when necessary if I have the time to set the reel. I have experience with the big reels from my farming background, another plus is to water a section of the farm devoted to wildlife management.

any ideas or cautions. another possibility is to run the reel on a jobsite off a metered fire hydrant. for temporary watering if it comes up in the future. this would be off site

also gasoline powered pump is only option.

ideas...

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Look at Ag products
    or get rid of the turf.

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

4. start2finish

for sure on the pump location. I have done this type of irrigation on the farm for tobacco in the past, but don't have the 100hp tractor and big stuff anymore. not to mention that the big reel waste a tremendous amount of water.

the amadas reel is identical to the kifco. $3300-3500
    $800 for high pressure pump
    $1000 for piping and fittings to make it all happen.

how bad do I want lush turf????

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Given your location, you should be looking for ways to reduce your water usage, not increase it ...... so I think a more sustainable solution is in order.

6. start2finish

This isn't california. I have an irrigation pond that was built to collect sediment and provide water for cash crops that are not grown on the farm anymore. It is spring fed and will sustain heavy watering. In fact 90% of any excess watering would feed back into the pond.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not all of CA is desert, in fact SoCal steals our water. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but isn't NC in the same boat as most all of the south eastern states?

Yup, I think it is.

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/DM_southeast.htm

It is not about having enough water, it is about conserving water, regardless of having enough or not. I go out of my way to conserve water even though we have plenty to go around. Think of the future.

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

He owns the pond therein he owns the water in the pond. Not everyone is interested in or cares about water conservation especially when they own the source. Not having that interest or the desire to even think about it does not make someone a bad or irresponsible person. That deserves a repeat.....,Not having that interest or the desire to even think about it does not make someone a bad or irresponsible person. He does not deserve your tone and to be looked down upon as if he is doing something wrong.