Portable Jumpstart/Compressor

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by deere615, Dec 3, 2007.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone keep these in there truck? I found a good deal on a Vector 450 amp 265psi compressor combo and I thought it would be a good thing to have especially for winter.
  2. deere615

3. drainedpatience

drainedpatience LawnSite Member

I keep one on my truck, use to keep just an air tank, but always would to forget to fill it up when it got low. I absolutely don't know how I got by without one. Charge holds for a long time on new ones. Get one, you won't regret it.
  4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have the jump starter in my toolbox and a small air tank...the compressor/starter sounds pretty cool though.
  5. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

man i wish i had one yesterday..was out on the far end of town on a leaf removal job(where we usually dont work) and i left my keys in the ignition in the "start" position on accident. It was a 2.5 hr job so needless to say my battery was toast. It had gone dead several times before so it doesnt have much life left. Called AAA but a jump starter would of been so much quicker and easier.
  6. bblawncare

bblawncare LawnSite Member

I carry a small Honda 2000 watt generator and a 150 psi pancake compressor in my van and also have a portable jumpstart. After the hurricanes of 04 & 05 down here I learned how invaluable this set up can be-not just following the storms, but on a regular basis in the field. I got so many flat tires and damaged mower blades from hitting debris I knew I had to find a way to fix those problems myself and keep working. And now I still carry a jungle jim jack, an impact wrench and keep at least 1 extra set of sharpened blades in the van so I can change blades in the field if necessary. I can also fill up tires on any of the mowers, trailer or van if necessary-and believe me, it has been necessary numerous times. I also use the generator to power drills or saws when a landscape project requires more power than my battery powered tools provide. This way I do not have to rely on the customer to have a convenient outdoor receptacle. And again, this has been necessary quite often. I may be a "girl", but don't let that fool you- I can work! (absolutely no disrespect to any women intended by that comment!!)
  7. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember that the compressors are only meant to run for short periods of time 6-8 minutes, then shut it down to cool off, or you'll cook the compressor. I once had a Jeep CJ5 that had a battery with a dead short in it (I just thought that the battery was old and dead) Used to carry most of my snap on tools in it for farm repairs, so I didn't want to leave it in a shopping center p-lot in the bad side of town, so I hooked a Sam's club jump battery to it, started it up and got 5 miles closer to home before the cooking plastic alerted me to the fire under the hood. Shoulda unhooked the old battery first! Anyway only had to park in an friend's p-lot, and walk 2 miles instead of 7. As the jump battery was pretty new, took it back to Sam's club and got it exchanged no problem!:laugh::laugh:
  8. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I have the jumpstart but no compressor. Has saved my rear more than a few times. I too just keep and air tank in the basket of the trailer. Those compressors you are talking about never have really impressed me.
  9. deere615

Thanks guys, I am still debating to go buy one, I know if I don't I will be punching myself when my truck battery dies somewhere one me!
  10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we had one..it was yellow and i think it came out of northern tool...it didn't work worth a damn, set it back and got another and that one didn't work...the "jump start" feature is strong enough to start a lawn mower...at most and the compressor couldn't pump up a F150 tire...get yourself some jumper cables, theres always someone around