1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

? Portable Sawmills? - Appropriate for this forum?

Discussion in 'Portable Sawmills' started by Guest, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

We're working on adding a sawmills forum. Keep an eye out for that soon!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

The new sawmills forum is here. Don't forget to also stop by the TreeServicesSite Sweepstakes forum and enter to win one of the cool prizes.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

You will have a hard time doing the portable saw mill thing with just 1k. If you want to keep it simple the Alaskan mill is probably not the way to go. I own one and have yet to figure out how to make square edge lumber "easly". It is OK for through sawn (bark edge) lumber. Takes a lot of time, energy and it beats the H$@l out of your saw (gets realllllly hot). I would look into spending a bit more and getting a small push carriage mill ($5k or so).

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a friend that has a big wood mizer with all of the bells and wistles. It is a great machine. There are a lot of different brands out there. I would really concider a company that has a blade sharpening service (such as wood mizer & a few others). Good luck

5. Guest

Guest Guest

The topic of portable sawmills seems like a 'natural' :walking: extension for this forum.

Any knowledge/experience out there for a 'newbie' - starting 'slow'? The 'Alaska' sawmill (using a chainsaw), while inexpensive...seems very 'rough'... both in terms of the board production and board quality.

Ideas on types? Things to look for? I need to KISS (keep is simply stupid) w/ a minimum 'up front' cost (?1K? reasonable?) for personal use after selectively harvesting of hemlock, white pine and some maple and oak, on my 20 acres. Lumber would be used for paneling, flooring and possibly for cabinets.

What say you?

trombkd....

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks. Seems you've now validated what my 'research' and my 'head' were saying...especially re; the 'Alaskan' Sawmill.....

I'm reading through info and the catalog from Wood Mizer... which 'seems' credible.

Thoughts on the product line...or others? Used an option? I'm thinking the LT10 may meet my 'getting started' needs....