Ported my box

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by tiedeman, Nov 1, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I ported the one side of my fall clean up box today so I all I have to do is stick my blower into the holes and it blows out the other load side

Hpim0284-1.jpg

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Could we see some more pictures from the other side and front and back?. What size is the trailer? Does the blower clean them out pretty good?. Sorry for all the questions but its been a dry year here and Im trying to figure out the best and most efficient way to move the leaves

3. tiedeman

from earth

Ok, the whole situation with the box. That box there used to be almost 12 feet long and fit on another 12 ft trailer. That was about 3 years ago when I had multiple crews. Basically one team would drive around the trailer full of equipment, while the other guy would drive around the leaf box. I used to have it where you could load the leaves from the back of the box and the passenger side of the box. Then you could unload the leaves from the back or the side.

But since I downsized my operation about 2 years ago, I took the box and made it only about 6 feet long, sealed off the back and kept it to where I could just load and unload from the one side. The reason for the shorting of the box is because I needed to be able to fit the equipment on the back of this trailer since I was just by myself.

Recently though it's a pain to unload the leaves from the side, as you can see in the picture, so I wanted a less labor intensive way to unload the leaves. That is why I came up with the porting. I used it today for the first time and i was probably about 70% happy with the results. It wasn't perfect, yet it wasn't bad. Did make it easier for me.

Hpim0631-1.jpg

Hpim0285-1.jpg

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Good idea Troy, do the leaves need to be lightly packed or does it still work pretty well with it packed tight? (obviously the type blower makes a difference)

5. tiedeman

from earth

well, I do admit that the lighter leaves do come out better, and some poking is necessary here and there, but overall I did notice a difference. This is one of the reasons that i am looking for a new WB push blower to use on this.

I look at it this way, 30 mins and $24 later, it has helped me out, not a lot, but just enough.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Troy, could you make an h bar that sits insde and can turn and "tumble" the leaves as they start to be blown out? something with just a hand crank on the outside seems like it would be cheap and easy to do and would loosen the packed leaves.

7. tiedeman

from earth

how much weight do you think that would add to the box?

The box right now is already really heavy and is a pain to unload and load on and off the trailer for the spring/fall season. It probably weights around 200-250lbs right now.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

made out of rebar I would think it would only add 20-30# at the very most

9. tiedeman

from earth

so kind of like a paddle on a river boat or something less complex?

10. tiedeman

from earth

anything that will make it easier for me, the better? A lot of my leaves are shredded big time as well because of my techniques and also because I use gators.