1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wells, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Anyone ever consider creating a portfolio with nice 8 1/2x11 glossy prints of your projects, properties you maintain, maybe some customer letters, referrals and some customer quotes.
    This would also be a good place to show any licensing that you have, proof of insurance etc. Maybe your work history, employees and their expertise in the field.

Individuals in the modeling and acting industry have used them for years as a tool to market themselves. This same concept should work for the green industry as well.
    My thought is that you take it with you when you are bidding new properties.

I have had countless people ask us: Are You Any Good....?
    How do you answer that? by saying yes we are, take my word?
    Next time I'm going to pull out the portfolio and say take a look through this, then we'll talk.

I'm even considering a version of the portfolio that can be given away to potential clients.

Has anybody tried this or currently doing something like this and how has the response been?
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds great, I'm very curious as well.. I bet it may be an excellent idea, I wonder if more experienced folks here will agree?
  3. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

It could never hurt to show off what you do.

Whether it be walls that you built, your amazing stripes, edging, planting, or ability to get a lawn looking real good, showing pictures to a customer is a great sales pitch.

Seeing evidence of what you do is so much better than describing what you do.

Just a roll of 35mm pictures in a photo album would help.
  4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

A couple of years ago my wife created us a little catalog that showed pictures of us performing the actual work and the different kinds of work we do. It was complete with before and after photos. She has since done a few more catalogs for a few select landscaper friends. They are a great selling tool or they have been for us and our friends seem to like theirs as well. The catalog was created using MSPublisher and is stored on a disk so we can just make copies as we need them or update it whenever neccesary. We dont need license's for most of the work we perform but they would be easy to include in the catalog. We bound the pages in a clear cover folder and made a coversheet with our company name and logo with a completed lawn in the background for the first page and for the back page just another photo of another completed lawn.. We made them so that we could leave them at real estate offices and even waiting rooms at doctors offices. I think they make a great selling tool and anyone that is serious in the landscape business or even just mowing should have one.
  5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

This is a great idea to have, and a similar thought I have been debating is a tri-fold pamphlet, which would allow for some examples of the work you have done, as well as explaining your services, all in a package you can give to a potential client to keep. Good idea though, if anything, it will show the customer you are organized, and have experience, and are proud and stand behind your work!
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a tri-fold company pamphlet. Stock is 44 lb, glossy. Tells a little about us, what we do and lists all of our services. It's a great leave behind too in case I am only seeing the wife and the husband isn't around for some reason. People have told me it is a great idea btw...
  7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I use the tri fold folder as a direct mailer. We have one fold fixed as an envelope with our name and address in the top corner and a place to address to whoever. The trifold is made similar to our catalog with the before and after pic's as well as a little written something about our company. It was made in MS Publisher as well and when ever we want to do some mailings we just add the names and addresses and then print it off on our printer, fold stamp and mail. Of course we have a small target market and we dont mail out hundreds at a time or do more than one or two mailings a year. Has brought use a lot of business from realestate companies and home builders. For those that want to use this method you can obtain a list of licensed contractors from you local building inspectors office. Dont know how much luck you will have gaining mowing contracts but it works well if you do lawn installs and landscapeing.
  8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sold.. I will definatelly try to get some printed up..
  9. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

did yall just take the file to office max and have them print it color or something cause inless you have a laser color printer ($1500) you really cant get that much clarity on your work...
  10. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

I take pictures with my Canon digital camera that print on my $200 HP Printer that are unbelievable.