Portland area LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hermanator, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

I was wondering how things are for you guys out there? When does your season start and end and what is your pricing for normal size yards. Thanx. You can pm me if you want, thanx again.

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Oregon or Maine??

3. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

Oregon area. Thanx

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Maintenance can go all year round. We have 160 residential maintenance accounts. And they all pay us a flat rate, all year. Now I won't say it's exactly EASY to get people to go for a year-round program. You gotta approach it right and you gotta be selling it to the right kinds of customers. But the point is that it does work here. I have half a dozen friends in the area who are LCOs and most of their customers are year-round too.

So the season never totally ends here, if you take care of business correctly and sell people on a package where you are still doing something all year long.

That's maintenance. Installation and Irrigation is a whole other ballgame. That totally dies in about November. And then it starts getting busy again anywhere from January to May.

As for pricing, I don't know totally what's normal. I know I'm not the cheapest around. I see guys in my area with trucks that say, "mow any yard for $25". And we definitely charge more than that.

The rate also depends on what part of Portland you're referring to. There are some areas, like Beaverton and Tigard where the homes are big but the yards are fairly small. Then there are other areas like West Linn where both the homes AND the yards are huge. And everything in between. So I don't know that there's any general price. Consult my website for the rates I charge. And actually, we just increased our prices this year, and that isn't reflected on the website yet. But you'll get the idea.

One thing I can say about Portland is that all of the outlying suburbs are growing very rapidly. So lawn work, landscaping, basically any kind of contracting is always in high demand around here.

There's also plenty of competition too. But so far it seems as if demand outstrips competition.

Hope that helps.