Portland tilled in for patio base...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KCLandscape, Dec 30, 2004.

1. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Have a project I am looking at. Due to elevations I am wanting to remove as little native soil as possible. Does anyone know how much portland to mix and till with existing soil to get a suitable base?
    Thanks,
    Nate

2. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

well ya wanna get some 3/4 under there for drainage too.

3. KCLandscape

Already have the drain issues worked out. I have installed over 100 patios, but never used straight portland tilled with the existing soil then tamped. Anyone else?? I need some answers quick to finish this quote.
    Thanks,
    Nate

4. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

KCLanscape, if you don't mind me asking whats your business name that you go buy. I think you have done some work around where I live.
    Jhawk71

5. KCLandscape

Reaves Associates - We work in most of the local cities around here. How about you?

6. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I'm just a 15 year old, and work in my neighborhood around 119th and 69 highway. Plan to expand when I turn 16.
    Jhawk71

7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

one bag of portland 94lbs per 25-30 sq feet, rototilled in, and then tamped

8. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless the soil has a high rock content, you will be mixing two completley incompatable ingredients and it is going to fail. Also, the only portland mixes I know people are using is with sand or stone screenings in the level course of a wall, in areas of the country that are not subject to freeze/thaw.

In all honesty, this sounds like a homeowner cooked up the design, every segmental concrete paver manufacturer I know of recommends a 1" minus base screeded over sand. If you are laying flagstone, that is best mortared over a 3 1/2" thick concrete slab, then grouted.

9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

This is interesting.

You actually add Portland Cement to soil?

We just remove soil here and add a gravel or gravel/sand base for the concrete or mortar on the surface.

Is that typical for your area?

10. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

My mistake for replying on the way out the door. The portland cement works in areas with sandy soil, will not work in heavy or clay types of soil. I made an asumption, that only the ratio of portland needed was in question.