Positive reinforcement rewards for clients who mow it @ 3"+....?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Exact Rototilling, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah this is for northern cool season grass question again.

I really want my fert clients lawns to excel and thrive and so for those who mow their own lawns I'm considering a positive Brownie point incentive for good behavior. :)

I seriously don't want to spend my time coaching the scalp it putting green short crowd and honestly be frustrated with enabling bad behavior.

Once mowing height is established we can work on not drowning the lawn next.

Has anyone done this...?

Discount on service nice extra thrown in....

2. Uhhhh....no
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

When you bill them include info from a source such as your states University turf division about watering & mowing height.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

good idea...

personal converations are useless,,,
    unless you have a great 'gift of gab'...

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Some people are more apt to believe something if it is from certain sources such as a University study. Our U of Ark has pamphlets for free that provide various info. I'll get some of these and send them to problem customers with their bill.

6. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont think it would be right or fair to not include your customers who utilize a mowing service---most mowing professionals will abide by simple customer requests (within reason of course)

of course the other part of the problem is mowing frequency, you cant reward or praise some knucklehead (err i mean valued client) that mows once a month- leaving nice rows ready for the bailer

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The lawns I care for are mowed by a mowing service. Their reward for doing things right is keeping their job. If they cannot/will not do it right, they either start doing it right, they are replaced or I walk. So far, I have yet to come up with a magic spray to fix lawns mowed with the wrong type of mower/wrong height of cut.

8. Smallaxe

The question is about h.o.s being willing to "Do It Right"... :)

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

DIYers are bound to the same policies. In my area, a DIYer is likely to be the same jackwagon overapplying fertilizers right before it is going to rain, sprays herbicides in high winds and violate all of the standards a professional applicator is bound to. I do not get a lot of people who mow their own lawns. The few I do get are not jackwagons, they realize that lawns can be a technical thing. Therefore they listen to my advice concerning their lawn without telling me how that is how they have done things for the past 50 years.

10. Smallaxe

You mean they're not like LCOs, acting like the Big Boys... :)