poss truck

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Frontier-Lawn, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

whats everyones opoin on this type or truck for a lawn biz? used hd rent
    [​IMG]al

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Is that a Home Cheapo turck LOL? Anyway, around here it is about split even between guys with 3/4 or 1 ton dumping flatbeds with sideboards, and regular pickups. That truck there looks like it would be perfect for a LCO, with the sideboards already on it. It would be perfect if it dumped for hauling clippings.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah if it dumps that would be cool, but I am fairly certain it's a 1/2 ton, judging by the size of the tires.
    It will be ok for a bit, but as a rule 1/2 tons are not geared for hauling trailers day in and day out so they tend to develop transmission or clutch problems in short time. Even 3/4 ton trucks shear shavings during heavy load, before I learned how to drive the truck properly, I used to pull out a small handful of shavings every 10 thousand miles during trans fluid / filter changes... And it's definitely nothing like driving a car, took me a few years and I'm glad mine's a 3/4 ton (still the same tranny, weak but still going).

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Both the 1/2 and 3/4 tons generally use 16" tires. Look like the wheels have a 8 hole pattern. Might be a heavy 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton.

If it dumps that would be a good addition. If not you might be able to add a hoist and make it a dump (depends on budget.) Any thing can be done with enough money

5. Frontier-Lawn

6. Frontier-Lawn

7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Well you know one thing for certain, it has been BEAT for those miles.... But any employee will beat it the same way... Your gamble really, I'd get it checked out at a shop before buying.

8. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I would never buy a rental. Those things get so beaten that you are juse asking for trouble.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Them rental trucks are always beat and then sold when they are to dead to revive. Kinda makes me wonder why Home depot and lowes don't run diesels as they can handle the beating a lot better.

10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

It doesn't matter how the engine handles the abuse because they are usually sold with under 60,000 miles on it. An abused gas engine will last that long without many problems and then they sell them (they don't have to deal with the future problems). Diesel costs $6K more and that is also the reason why.