Possible customer wants a NEW Tractor how do I show #'s to hire ME instead???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IMoLwnz.com, Apr 11, 2005.

1. IMoLwnz.com

IMoLwnz.com LawnSite Member

I am hired to mow the property at an accounting firm. The owner has a 52,000 sq ft lawn at his residence and I would like to get that too. he is spending about 2.5 - 3hrs mowing with a JD 212. He is looking at new ZTR's I said a JD 717 or 737 will be around 7-8K to buy.

HOW do I show him #'s that its cheeper to hire me at 85.00 cut than buy a mower and do it himself..... He is an accountant and if I have the #'s to prove it he should go for it..

Thanks for the help!!
  2. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

ask him what he charges himself out at per hour. Assuming that he is above 50 somewhere, you show it to him that way, that he can actually make more money by doing what he is good at and paying you to do what you are good at. Everybody wins, he makes more, you make more!
  3. IMoLwnz.com

IMoLwnz.com LawnSite Member

Well he DOES like to be out side and "relax" its getting away from work for him to do the lawn so Im not sure that will work... he does it on Saturdays so he isnt working then. I know the angle you are going in and Ill use that. but I think if I have a real good way of showing the REAL cost of him doing it and me doing it I can win him over at his own accounting game. He is a real nice guy I went to HS with his son so I do have an in. I just need to show some #'s I think the 85.00/ week will be a put off with out showing him its cheeper in the long run.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Think about this.
    The reason that many of us are into this dirty, low paying job is why??

Because of the cool toys we get to play with!!

Does he really want to cut his grass? NO
    but can he pick up a cool toy along the way and get to test it out each week.
    First, if he is a good accountant he can not cut before APR 15th so there is the in.
    Or maybe he can just "test" one and see if he likes it.
    Find out what he really wants and see what you can do to help.

This is more than likely not about money so dig a little and find out what he wants. Also what does his kid do and why is he not cutting the grass.
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Show him the costs of capital outlay, maintenance costs, gas, oil, place to store the mower, time it will take from his leisure time, etc. One thing I say to customers is that you probably have something better to do with your time than mow grass every weekend.
  6. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

a mower does not depreciate to zero. He could probably buy one at a great price, mow for 10 years, and upon resale, come out ahead. Dont waste your time with an accountant that knows this!!! (and keep it quiet to your other customers)
  7. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Most people hire us because they DONT want to do grass, but many love to mow, sounds like he may be in the second category, I would just say "try me one year on your residence, then decide" and see what he says.
  8. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

You can't show him the number's to prove this, because they don't. If he spends $7,000 on a mower, and your price per cut, after 3 years he is money ahead, and still has a mower worth something.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

but the homeowner has lost TIME...something that he may or may not be able to put a value on.....Dont forget to factor in cost of maintenence on his new machine.....Hope he has a trailer to take to the dealer...

Inthe long run it will be cheaper for himto cut his own grass....but you need ot focus on the short term gains and the time savings for him
  10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

But it's not cheaper for him in the long run so those numbers won't exsist and you probably don't want to get into a numbers game with an accountant who does numbers for a living anyway. What you will have to sale him on is the time and trouble it saves him with you doing it. The tax angle work as mentioned is a good one but since that season runs Jan 1-April 15 there is not a whole lot of grass cutting in that time span.