possible engine problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, May 4, 2003.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I just changed my muffler on my Dixie Chopper and noticed that one side of the muffler was white and the other side was black. What causes this?

Thanks,
    Soupy

2. Soupy

I was worried that one cylinder was running richer then the other. I just thought maybe it was a bad sign of internal troubles to come.

Thanks,
    Soupy

3. It will even out in time.

One side is getting it from both, so it gets hotter.

It's the exit side right?

Should be a small area at first then it will work it;s way throughout the muffler.

4. Soupy

The muffler hooks to the engine with dual intake. The left side is black and the right side is white. I figure the black is normal but the white indicates one side is running leaner then the other. The engine only has one carburetor, So I am confused.

Also lately my engine has sounded like it was starving for fuel. When I disengage the blades the engine will not rev smoothly. I put some Sea Foam brand cleaner in the last couple of tanks of gas and it seemed to help a little but when the engine is hot is still revs in and out a little. With the blades on the rpm's seem to stay around 6500.

Soupy

5. Soupy

LGF, I didn't uderstand your last post at first. But after reading it again I figured out what you meant. Yes it is the exit side that is white.

Soupy

6. Soupy

More problems :( Today I cut my first lawn without any problems. But when I pulled up to my next lawn The engine was hard to start but seem to run fine until I engaged the blades then my rpm dropped about 800 rpm's and the engine was running rough. A little black smoke was coming out of the muffler but it was barely noticeable. Anyway I brought the mower home and tuned it up and the problem was still there. So I called my Dixie dealer and he said it sounded like a blown head gasket. I called my mechanic and went and picked up the gaskets. He shows several hours later and the problem had went away.

Also earlier I pulled the left plug wire and the engine didn't drop a whole lot, But when I pulled the right side the speed dropped a lot more. So the dealer said I could also have a worn cylinder. But that problem went away too.

We will see how things go tomorrow :(

Soupy

7. I was going to ask you if it's all white by now, but I guess not.

I just found out I have a blown head gasket today also.

[Edit] I got your PM.

I caused mine by spraying eather in it.

They can be there for a few weeks then just get worse in a matter of minutes.

I think you got a blown head gasket too, I bet it's the side not white.

Worn cylinder I doubt

8. Soupy

Thanks for the reply LGF.

So you think that with a blown head gasket the problem can come and go at first. My buddy which works on most of my stuff (mainly Auto). Said he would think that once the gasket is blown it would not cause a problem then go away. But he also thinks this job might be over his head because he hasn't worked on small engines before. He's good at fixing minor problems. well he did rebuild my gear box last year. Anyway I'm going to see how it does tomorrow. I just hope I don't lose another day. I dread the possibilty that I might have to use the 36" Toro while my mower is down.

Thanks again,
    Soupy

9. Time consuming, but easy job.

Yeah it can come and go, then it will just stay, did it to me on 2 engines. No real big deal though it happens.