possible good deal on trade in (scag) for a used mower/tractor (ventrac)?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by slicksilverado01, Jun 16, 2006.

1. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

hey just need your guys advice.

I am thinking about trading in my 05 scag turf tiger (340hours) 35hp briggs vangaurd LC 61" cut with suspension seat. they quoted me $5,800

possibly buying a used for $13,500 (400 hour) ventrac 4200VXD with the 31hp turbo diesel with the 3pt hitch and 2 sets of rear hydros. the reason for selling the unit was that the owner has passed away (from old age) the unit is in great shape other wise and the unit is still under warrenty with a 72" offset deck thats was used once on a demo for $1,900 so everything for $15400 then minus the trade in.

I kinda thought that the trade in quote was kinda low? what do you guys think? I plan on getting more attachments this fall. also I am going to shrink my lawn biz to about a hair less then half my lawns and do more landscaping/construction.

o yeah new ventrac 31 turbo diesels run around 21K new and the deck is 3k new.

thank,

slick

2. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

There is NO way I would trade the scag for only $5800, that is way to cheap. If you really want the tractor sell your scag yourself you will get a lot more money out of it.

3. slicksilverado01

from Ohio

that is what I figured. I was hoping to get 6500+(more so the +side) for the trade in. I am going to talk with him more to see what real deal is. the ventrac is a good buy but the trade in is a hair low...

4. slicksilverado01

from Ohio

hey do you want a scag? I would like to sell it asap. I am asking 7K obo.

5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

If your main reason for buying the Ventrac is to mow, then I would rethink the trade altogether. I have the 4200 diesel and its a great machine, but the scag will cut a lot faster than the ventrac. I use my ventrac to mow my lawn, but its main use is with the many attachments I have to go with it. It does a great job with the power rake, and I make good bucks with the trencher and stumgrinder, and even tho the scoop is small, the machine is fast enought to move lots of dirt, mulch etc., in a short time. I also have a homemade root rake and use it for pushing brush on lots for new homes. All these things the Ventrac does a good job and it mow's well, the mowing speed just isnt where it needs to be.

6. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

Slick,

Where do you live at in Ohio? I don't really have the money to buy a new mower right now, but I know a couple of guys that are always looking for mowers.

7. slicksilverado01

from Ohio

you know you do bring up a good point that I knew but put in the back of my head. but the main purpose for it was to mow two 5 acre yards/fields that are too bumpy for my z. I mow it with an old stiener and it rides over it fairly smooth. also I am going to plan on keeping the scag. I wanted to sell but I think I found a new good partner to help build the business even bigger.

I also planed on using the ventrac to install lawn, trench, move dirt/brush around my place. also the reason to buy the ventrac is I can rent all the attachments for it since the rental place is right up the street.

anything else I should consider?

thanks,
    Slick

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

How about a smaller kubota with a loader and 3 point hitch? It looks the Ventrac uses a lot of machine specific attachments (I did note the cat 1 3 point.) where a Kubota or similar tractor would offer more versatility. That way if your tractor breaks down, you can attach the implements without having to wait for repairs on the Ventrac.

9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I also own a 480 max steiner. All the steiner attachments will fit the ventrac and visa versa. ( I dont recommend the ventrac power rake on the steiner, to much weight) You will have to change out the drive belts. The ventrac takes a 2 inch longer belt than the steiner. If you like the way the steiner works, you will love the ventrac. Another tidbit. The original builders of the steiner are also the builders of the ventrac.

10. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

Slick, You arnt possible look at Cardinal Power Sales are you? If so, i might be interested in your scag. My partner is selling his JD 425 with 60in deck and demoed a scag cub with a 48inch cut. Anyways, he might be interested in your scag. PM if you get a chance