1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Possible mulch blower death?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by LawnMowerBoy48, Nov 16, 2005.

1. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

When I first heard this story yesterday from a friends sister I thought it must have been a wood chipper accident. I just read and watched the news story on it and it actually does look like a mulch blower truck in the video. My only guess would be that he was inside the mulch box and got pulled into the machines workings. Sad to hear about this I see the companys trucks on campus here a lot.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is sad to hear
  3. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

One of my professors gave us some more details on the accident. It was a woodchipper that he was killed by. Not a mulch blower which I thought it might have been due to the video. The guy was chipping logs and went to push one in with his foot and got pulled in. He normally worked on a mow crew but wanted to do tree work to make more money.
  4. Jim Buessing

Jim Buessing LawnSite Member

That must have REALLY hurt!
  5. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

ooooooooowwww ouch
  6. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

It is a tragedy. Happens with more frequency then you would expect. Happend in my area over the summer. We were working across the street from a tree company doing a pretty standard removal. Owner was up in the tree limbing and toping it, groundsman was feeding the chipper. Chipper jammed and so he decided to kick the jammed log to clear it. Was pulled through feet first. Horrible way to go. Our prayers go out to his family.

7. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Man that sucks. I help a buddy of mine out some days when I am slow running his wood chipper and that thing is something that needs to be respected and pay attention to at all times.
  8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

You might want to check your source. He was atop a mulch blower trying to get the hopper unplugged.
  9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Actually, the guy was on top of the hopper when the machine was off. He was trying to free some of the material by kicking it etc. The operator on the ground then thought he heard the guy on top give the "ok" and started the mahcine. The rest is history.