possible new account

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wissel_landscaping, Sep 1, 2003.

1. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

A friend of mine owns a lawn care co. and he called me saturday to bail him out ask if i would cut one of his accounts, so i cut it took me 2 hours the property manager comes out and tells me he's sick of nothing getting done there and he wants brian (my friend) gone. he said i did a very nice job and offered the account to me it pays $5,500 a year 36 cuts a year he says if i want it its mine i could be in by thursday there is also 2 other properties that come with it the 3 together is about $20 G's a year i would like to have these accounts but brian is a friend he is most likely gone no matter what. should i accept the accounts and piss off a friend or should i leave it alone and let someone else have them?

P.S he's not a real close friend:D

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Tread lightly here.Great opportunity but I'm not sure it is worth it.

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be in like flynn! $$$ talks. If your friend is that lousy that his clients are seeking new lco's then it's his fault. Just explain to him that the manager is going to fire him anyway due to his horrible service. If he gets mad at you for capitalizing on his mistakes there's not much you can do about that. Tell him sorry but you can't turn down such a great opportunity.

4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Loyalty is a word leaping out at me here. You've got a potential account that is going behind it's current LCO's back. On the other hand you have a friend who came to you in a moment of need.

You might be able to win-win here if you approach your friend and tell him what the situation is. If he sees that he's history then he might be happy you get the account. If he goes back & does what needs to be done to make the client happy then in my mind you've done the right thing & I'm sure it will be better in the long run.

Now, if this call came to you blind that's another thing.

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

With that kind of money I would take it. Your friend would get over I would anyway. This may teach your friend a valuable lesson anyway. It's not like you went up the property manager and said you could take over and save him a little money.

6. rotgg

rotgg LawnSite Member

would u want someone to do that to u ?

7. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Lousy or not your friend may be but thats beside the point.

Give the property manager a referal to anouther lco altogether.(might be a guy you just seen driving around)Tell him that you would love to take the job but theres not enough room in your schedule till mabey next season. And to give you a ring arfter the tender for the lco that you refered runs out.
    And at next season you will be next cab of the rank.

You arn't dogging ya mate this way and at the same time the property manager gets to see that your proactive and keen to do his job but you don't have room at the moment. I could almost garentee that youll have that job next season.

Sounds like a good account.
    Good luck with it:)

8. wissel_landscaping

from ohio

no i wouldnt want someone to do it to me. but i didnt do it to him he did it to himself, the property manager came to me. i have bailed him out in the past and i have told him you have to do this and you have to do that to keep these people happy. the curbs look like he hasnt blown them all year, the concrete is in need of a nice edge, the trees need the lower branches prunned, the beds are full of weeds, there is dead shrubs that need to be removed and a estimate givin for planting new shrubs. the manager says theres money in the buget to get it done right. it looks like he cuts, blows, and goes. the manager said i can take it for $5,500 for the rest of this year then bump it up to my price next year as long as its getting done right. i told the manager i would think about it and get back to him.

9. wissel_landscaping

from ohio

pinnacle
    good point i may just do that.

10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Once again, good advice pinnacle. I like the approach even though you're rolling the dice. Good friends are hard to find. It's easy for me to say "take the account" since I'm not in his boots. Honestly, it is one heck of a nut twister:cry: , and I would have a hard time deciding.