Possible new truck for lawn work...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pflasch, Feb 27, 2009.

1. pflasch

pflasch LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I've been looking at Pickups pulling an enclosed trailer... and I have been looking at the Isuzu with a box. Then I saw this 16 'Rockport Parcelport unit, with a sliding side door, on a Ford E-350 chassis. GVW of 11,500 lbs. Ground to floor height is 21.5 " Internal height about 6 1/2 feet, with a fiberglass translucent roof.
    If I could get Rockport to modify it with an internal beavertail, and a full width overhead door... at least for my use, it would be near perfect for a couple of Walkers etc.

I don't have a price on the unit yet...

Any ideas or suggestions?

Picture 1.png

2. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

A few guys around here use box trucks....I dont like the idea......Lets just say my truck breaks down.......I drop it at the shop, and borrow a buddies or go rent one from united rentals and hook up my trailer so I dont loose valuable time......If your truck breaks, youre kinda beat until its fixed, because youre truck IS your trailer too.

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Pietro, and plus you have no where to dump clippings. Personally my ideal rig is an F-350 dump and an enclosed trailer. Put your clippings in the back and bata bing bata boom your good to go.

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

looks like a good idea if you have somewhere onsite to dump clippings

5. MowMoney

MowMoney LawnSite Member

You can rent a truck just as easily as a trailer. It may have a liftgate instead of a ramp, but it will make due while your truck is being repaired. I have 3 box trucks with dumping waste bids for the clippings and I love them.

6. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

looks like a shuttle bus.... minus 100 kids anticipating Disney....

7. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

I really like it. What is the width between the wheel wells?

8. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I agree..

Plus..I hope you don't bag any clippings.

I'll stick to pickups and open trailers...;)

9. pflasch

pflasch LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

MowMoney,
    Can you post pics of your truck with dumping waste bins?
    So far, clippings are not a problem... some stay on site, or sites are mulched. Extra charge for removal, and I'm OK with that.
    Business is a 1-2 man operation, upper end homes that we take our time on. NO mow and blow. Detail is what we are after. Image is everything to us!

TwoSeasons,
    I believe the width between the wheel wells is just over 5 feet. With 42" and 48" decks on the Walkers, the fit is tight but do able.
    I just love the low slide door with only ONE step!
    I also looked at Super Lawn Trucks, but I like this idea better.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

They're probably at least 40 or 50 thousand new, and since it's a custom builder it could be more, too.
    Seeing how they're not listing any prices that's usually the next clue that it ain't cheap.
    I don't know, could run anywhere from 60-to-120 thousand I guess.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009