Possible Rear Frame Damage?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Petr51488, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I was sitting at a red light for a good minute.. 3 cars in front of me.. when this lady smacks into the back of my brand new truck. She must have been going 15-20 mph. Luckily she only hit the square reciever part of the truck. I made her pull up to the bumper just to make sure that she didnt hit the actual bumper. I got out to inspect and see if anything looked cracked underneath. It looked good so i let her go, but it did put a hole in her front bumper (license plate went 1/2 way through her bumper) SHe had a nissan sentra. Now this is a 3/4 ton truck and i don't think anything could have bent, but i just wanted to know from you guys if its at all possible. Has anyone had this same situation? I mean, these things are ment to tow 13k with a decent amount on the tongue. What's your thought on this. I know i should have gotten a police report just to have down the line just incase something did look bent, but i didn't. So what do you think?

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

When you say "square receiver", do you mean the hitch receiver? If so, I'd be concerned about cracks or hairline fractures. A new hitch receiver is only a couple hundred or so for piece of mind. Can you find her to get her to pay it?

3. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Sorry to hear about this. I guess the only thing you can do now is inspect for damage. Did you get her name and number?

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Check carefully for cracked welding in good bright light

5. Petr51488

from NJ

Unfortunatly i didn't take any of her info. Nothing was damaged to my bumper, which was what i was mainly worried about. I looked underneath today around 11:00 pm(happened around 10:30pm), and didn't see anything. I just figured that with all the things people put these trucks though, towing wise, that a bump wouldn't really do much. I know i was wrong on my part by not taking any of her info, but like i said, nothing was scratched on my bumper so i said it was ok and let her go. I will inspect tomorrow.

6. Petr51488

from NJ

Yes the hitch receiver. I guess from now on i should keep my 3 ball hitch on there so in the future if someone does hit me, they'll hit the ball, not the bumper. I usually keep this one off only because it sticks out about a foot and a half from the bumper. Its one of those ball hitches that extends out a bit, then down, then out again for the 3 ball sizes. I actually had someone tap my hitch at the Burger King drive through, but didnt even get out to look because i had the hitch on there. You would think that with this really bright red color people would see me. I swear, their like deer in headlights when they see it.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I was rear ended in my 2000 1/2 ton Ford. Same situation except they were doing about 35-40 in a mini van. Screwed up a lot but not the frame. I had to have the whole bed replaced. You should always get contact information in any type of collision.

8. Petr51488

from NJ

Sorry to hear that. This wasn't as bad as your situation. If i had so much as a scratch on my bumper, the police would have been called (which i know i should have done this time) and info would be exchanged. What sucks is that i have the backup sensors on my bumper, so to replace the bumper would be big $$$$ She was doing maybe 10-15mph. My head didn't jerk and hit the stearing wheel, but i felt it.

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Dont beat yourself up over letting her go........

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i highly doubt anything was damaged. these trucks should be built nice and tough to handle little stuff like that. and those receivers are built quite strong.