Possible to bury a low voltage transformer?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by scotman1000, Oct 19, 2013.

1. scotman1000

scotman1000 LawnSite Member

Is it possible to bury a low voltage transformer underground? If so, does anyone know of any suitable models? I only need about 75W.

Thanks.

2. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

3. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Scotman, I'm not challenging your choice but I'm curious as to why you want to have an inground transformer. And where is your source for the line voltage?

4. scotman1000

scotman1000 LawnSite Member

Locating the transformer directly where I have line voltage would create an eyesore on this site unfortunately. In fact, not many options at all, with a lot of really heavy limestone surrounding the house making routing from further away unpractical.

Thanks for the link GreenLight! I'll check them out.

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, I would have recommended the Unique Lighting product as well. Great brand. They make good stuff and I knew that had a transformer specifically for this purpose.

Although I've never found a reason to need one. I'd always prefer to find a place for the transformer above ground. And I always have been able to.

6. LLC RI

LLC RI LawnSite Member

Hadco makes a direct burial transformer as does Focus. My main concern, that I have had since Unique lighting first came on the scene for me about 15 years ago or so, is that included primary fuse and no secondary fusing. Now, at least, you can buy a secondary fuse option, but I think that is something that should be included without question.

If a transformer gets a direct short, out in the field, it's unlikely that the primary fuse would blow before the wire heats up, splices fail and perhaps even cause a fire.

I don't understand why Unique doesn't include secondary fusing. Anyone have any insights to this?

Thank You

George

7. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

Q-Tran has one of the best in ground TF that I have seen. Uses a base which accepts the TF as a cassette. Not the cheapest but definitely one of the best.