Possible trade

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by farmguy, Apr 14, 2005.

1. farmguy

farmguy LawnSite Member

I've got a local Exmark dealer that became a dealer after I purchased my Z in 2002. They have been good to me over the last several years as I've used them for a few service needs. Today the salesman made me an offer to trade for a new mower. I'm looking for some feedback on his offer.

Current Machine:
    2002 Lazer Z 52" 20HP Kohler with 250 hours with the Heavy Duty air filter. On a scale of 1 to 10 it's an 8.

New Machine:
    2005 Lazer Z 60" 23hp Kohler with 0 hours.

Trade difference $2500

Said he was allowing me 5199 for my machine.

I simply want more deck and to keep a relatively new machine around to run. The 72" model would require a larger trailer so that will no be happening.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I dont see why you want a 72". A 72" would be good for flat wide open jobs. I test drove one and on uneven land there were many imperfections. Bigger is not always better

3. farmguy

farmguy LawnSite Member

Umm, I don't want a 72" due to the trailering issue and frankly the added cost. But when it comes to large flat wide open areas I have them.

4. Charles

I guess in Missouri you do. But if you have any uneven areas I would get the 72" and keep a 60" too. You need a backup anyway

5. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a pretty good buy. I think in real money you are actually getting more like 4k out of yours but its three years old and one of the smaller models so that sounds fair. You do have really low hours on yours though so I'm sure that is helping you. Figure in having a warranty and probably getting a good deal on the financing if you go that way and it's a pretty fair deal. If it were me though, I would like to see a couple more hp on the engine but 23 will get the job done.If you plan on ever running a bagger or installing a mulch kit you would lack for power though. Just something to think about.

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Seems like a fair trade in value to me.

You must not cut a whole lot of grass... only 250 hours in 3 years?

7. farmguy

farmguy LawnSite Member

No I keep 10-12 acres mowed weekly and as you can tell by the hours I'm not commercial. I was a little hesitant to post in this forum for that reason but you guys know the numbers much better than myself.

This will be a cash purchase so the financing offers don't sweaten the deal any. Thought about trying to get him to throw in a striping kit to make the deal happen.

I thought about additional HP as well but his number was $1300 higher for the 25 HP :eek:

I was originally planning to update this fall but a casual conversation today while picking up my mower led to the current offer.

8. farmguy

farmguy LawnSite Member

Well since the thread was moved I'll go back to lurking the site. Thanks for the comments Grassman and lawnscapes.

9. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

I wouldn't do it. It may be an okay deal, I have no idea, but you only have 250 hours! How much faster will 8" get the yard done?

10. Charles

Moving a thread is not punishment in any way. The threads are just put where they belong so we can stay organized and therefore easily searchable(like a library). Most large forums do this. Now people will know you are not a commercial operation and you are asking from the standpoint of a homeowner/operator and respond accordingly