Possible wet ignition?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Nov 28, 2004.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

Here's one for you,

I pulled the mower out of the garage the other day (turf tracer, 19 kawai) for a little bit to do some work in the garage. It was raining outside, but just a light sprinkle, enough to get my mower fairly wet, but I thought nothing of it. A couple hours later when I went to put 'er back in the garage I couldn't get it to start. Any idea's why this would be? I'm not an idiot, and I know how these engines work for the most part, but I can't for the life of me get it to start. I tried starting fluid too. Before I pull the carb off, do you have any suggestion as to what I can do? I have heard of people getting a wet igntion before, but I thought it'd take more than that. Also, what do you all do on a rainy day when you're trailing your mowers around in the rain. If it is that easy for it not to start, aren't more of you having problems? Or is this just a freak thing?

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Must just be a freak thing. That little bit of rain should not have caused it not to start. Heck, I see mowers sitting out all the time and we've even mowed in the rain before without a problem. Have you checked to see that its getting a spark?

3. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Let it dry and seperate all electric conections and apply a dab of Dielectric grease.......

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

remove the air filter, use your blower to "blow dry" inside where the air filter goes. don't keep pulling it or spraying with ether, you'll start a fire. this happens all the time with my walk behinds, a tiny bit of rain, and they don't start.

5. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Ah tell me thats just a bad joke....

6. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

How sensitive are the plug wires to water. I took them off and its not like water came dripping out of the plugs, will the slightest bit of moisture still throw it off? Any other thoughts on what the problem could be?

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

spray the plug wire with WD-40. It sounds like a set plug wire to me, not uncommon. It doesn't take much water to ground it out.

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I think what Bobbby was getting at is of there is water in the air filter area you would be sucking it into the combustion chamber and fowling the plug.

so I would suggest:

remove and clean the plug the spray the wires with WD-40

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

why is it a joke? this happens to my bobcat ALL THE TIME. i remove the air filter, and blow dry where the air filter is mounted (don't know the mechanical term, i'm not a mechanic). now, if it's very wet, i also remove the spark plug, dry it with a paper towel, and blow dry where the plug goes. why are you saying it's a joke? it works!. oh, let me guess, you're on the bandwagon with the rest of these fools, the "let's bash bob" bandwagon.

10. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Not bashing you, just seemed like a joke to me.... I wouldnt do it that way and I also had 3 Bobcats, The problem is most likley water and dielectric grease does the trick nicely for moisture trouble..... The ingnition switch can also be very wet as it holds water, I replaced more than a few ignition switchs on my T-3100........

P.S. Bobby I really would like to see a pic of the toothless mother-inlaw :)