possibly looking at a ZTR...gasp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike lane lawn care, Jun 11, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

next year i might be looking, if the prices are right, for a small ZTR to get tight small area that i mow, and use the tracor just on the large properties.

what is a good ZTR in the size of about 36" maybe a 42" but the 36" would ensure that it would go through gates?

what can i expect to pay for these?, as most websites do not list equipment prices.

I have all the major dealers nearby, SCAG, Toro, Simplicity, JD, Cub Cadet, LAWNBOY, and ariens, possibly gravely.

i would like quality but cost is a big factor. any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Gravely 34Z hands down. Nothing in that size catagory any better and it will mow the larger props faster than you currently can with your garden tractor i promise you that. For the 34Z your looking at around $4000-4,200 out the door. We love ours and it serves its purpose perfectly.

[​IMG]

This pic here is horrible because it was taken with my camera phone but you get the idea. If you want better pics just ask and I will take them for you this week with my DSLR.

[​IMG]

3. mike lane lawn care

thanks for the quick response, it looks like an amazing little machine, i just checked it out on their website, but it lists for over $5000, how did you get it for $4000?. thanks again.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

MSRP and actual cost are typically no where near equal. The list of my truck is $42,500+. I paid much, much less than that.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh wow we got ours just 1 1/2 years ago and got it for $3,800 plus tax. I didnt know they went up that much in price. I am willing to bet you can get it cheaper than that if you call your gravely dealers. Maybe somebody will have last years model sitting around. They havent made any changes to warrant the higher price. I know the cost of steel has gone up but not THAT much.

6. mike lane lawn care

anyone else? i know it's only been 30 mins since the last post, but i would like to hear what ya'll think as i have to make a decision as to where next years budget will fall. (yes i realize it's june) thanks.

what about the ariens zoom models with 40" decks?

7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds as if you've thought this out, and don't know your mowing business, but have you considered a bigger ZTR and use something like the tractor or even just the 21 for the smaller properties you can't access with a wide deck? I'm just thinking you could possibly cut your mowing time substantially, over using the tractor. Just a thought.

8. mike lane lawn care

i don't fully understand your statement, but are you saying something to the effect of if i have considered a ZTR then why ami using a tractor? if you are then the answer would be because the tractor give me versatility and is a good machine to start out on, it moves slower but can cut at 5MPH, plenty fast for me to learn the ropes of everything lawn related. i am now just starting to think about a smaller ZTR that i could use in tandem with the tractor, as the tractor will preform better on the steep hills that some of my clients have.

thanks for the input.

9. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

ask a dealer to demo a 52 incher. you will be SHOCKED how much faster a ztr is then a tractor.

10. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I just re-read my post from last night, and meant to say that "I" don't know your mowing business. Sorry, thought you might have taken it the wrong way, that I was implying you don't, which isn't what I was trying to say.

Anyhow, try out a larger ZTR before you make a decision. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Good luck, whatever decision you make. Neill