1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

possibly the most horrible sight you could see mowing/trimming......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Aug 18, 2006.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I saw it this morning......:cry:

I get nailed almost everytime I mow this certain property.

so today I get the big idea I'll mow real early before the yellow jackets get out.

by 8:15 I am done mowing and am finishing up the trimming and it is looking like I am gonna get outta there without being attacked...BUT WRONGOMONDO I AM!!! :hammerhead:

I am trimming away and suddenly focus on the spot I am trimming and the yellow jackets are pouring out of a hole right under the trimmer head.

so I take off running and I am immediately nailed on the hand. I get back to the truck and I look down and my pants are covered with the blamed things.

I got them knocked off with my hat without getting stung but before I could get loaded I got nailed 2 more times.

I am done with this property and this little ole lady. it is just too painful!

GEO :laugh:
  2. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Go to walmart and get some powder boric acid. It costs about $3.00. pour some down the hole, by next week you will have no problems.
  3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

why don't you just gas 'em?
  4. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

That must really suck! I keep reading about these yellow jackets that nest in the ground Im glad we dont have them here.Id say its up to the homeowner to have a safe place for you to work or they would be looking for a new yardman in a hurry.Had a place that had bees in an old rotted tree, it cost the guy over 400 to get rid of them, the hive was huge.He let his kids play in the yard (just stay away from the tree) but when I refused service he finally got rid of them. Believe that?
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Geo, Seven Dust down the hole and it kills the nest in less than a day. And then you can add a little $$$$$ for taking care of the problem.

BTW- meat tenderizer on a sting takes away pain and swelling
  6. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i have heard that chewing tobacco does also but never tried it.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I tried it when I chewed and if it does it sure was not noticable :waving:
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ive found 2 nest in the same yard 2 weeks apart. Ive been stung 3 times in 3 weeks and it isnt much fun. Oh well I get to charge and extermination fee.

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

One year, I got stung so many times that I kept dreaming the wasp were coming out of the bed. The only thing you can do is take time out to walk the property before mowing. I never do that. I do always look around for wasp. You have to always be alert and focused--no day dreaming. Where you see one in a yard there is usually a nest close by.
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Fire ants are pretty bad as they keep biting, and they seem to all bite at the same time. I had one of my employee fail to notify me they were alergic to bee stings. I had to haul her down to the ER one day.... WC paid for the visit and also for an EPI-pen for the truck....