Possibly training a temp office worker

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, May 18, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I am going to ask my sister if she wants to work for me for a month or so this summer in the office. She is 19, in college in Mass (leave her alone Capt. R). She's been out here three summers now for 2 weeks each time and loves it here. I want to see if I can train someone to work the office for me. Answer phones, schedule, enter invoices, sales receipts, etc. It's not the permanent answer for me, as I need someone in the spring and fall more than in the summer. But it would be a test trial for me to see if I have the patience and and understanding on how to train in the office. She is very computer literate, and can probably teach me a lot on how to do things more efficiently in the office.

Any advice on training an office person?

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ive had my GF do quite a bit. Basicaly show them what needs to be done and how you do it. Then let them come up with their own system. Biggest problem I had is my GF used to live about an hr and a 1/2 north of here. She doesnt know what towns are near each other and has to look at a map when sceduling

3. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Family as employees normally don't work out. I've seen it many times. Being a sibling could worse.

Is it worth risking your relationship with her for summer help?

I could be off, you may gel well with her. But as a general rule find someone other than a family member.

Just my .02

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

My GF has done it in the past as well. Definitely not as efficient for drive time when she does it. But that might be one of the things I have to give up. I can get her to at least schedule the proper zip codes.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Thought of that as well. If it doesn't work we'll cut ties on it quick. But it's kind of a test for me to see if I can train how I want it done, and if I'm patient. I tried training my mom - that was a disaster. But she and I have issues anyway :)

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

As the caveman in the geiko commercial says " its my mom, Ill put it on speaker"

7. Never hire somebody you can't fire. Is my general rule.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have had great luck with my #1 tech. I have known him and his family 1984. Been in weddings for his brother and sister (separate weddings :)). Been to Thanksgiving dinners at his parents' place. Also gotten drunk and thrown up in their backyard as well.....

It doesn't always work that way, but it worked well in this case.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

::adds "can i get drunk and throw up in your backyard" to employee application questions::

10. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member