Post card timing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shades of Green LService, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

When do you guys recomend sending out post cards? Now, Feb, or march? Any suggestions?

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I sent mine out last year in the third week of March and got an overwhelming response!

If you need any info on postcards and the who, what when and where's...PM me.

I have some great info as I research it last winter and it made my card very effective.

I also have a great Co that I work with and they were very affordable and helpful. I have used them several times since.

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I ended up getting a bunch of PM's on wanting post care info...so rather then type you all back and repeat myself. This post should answer all your questions.

#1) The most important thing is getting a list of the people you want to send the card to. You can give them the list...or you can have a firm do this for you (which I highly recommend Cactus Mailing ----See below for contact info) come up with one. You can give them Streets or neighborhoods you want to hit etc.

On my first card I just told them the zip codes I wanted the card to go to and then you can pick the criteria that you want such as the value of the home, income per household, homeowners only, age and a few other things.

This helps to eliminate the people that won't be interested in your services. You don't want to send a post card to someone making 20 grand a year or a renter.

They can get a list for you that is best for your business. Out of a town of 5,000 you may only send out 2,000 cards.

#2) Timing is the second most important. I was advised to have the post card hit between March 15 and Apr 1. (This also may change depending on where you live) WORKED GREAT FOR ME!

#3) The front of the card has to look good with a great picture and have a CATCHY slogan. If you go onto the internet type in a search engine "lawn photos and you can find all kinds of ideas on there! This takes a lot of thought! There is a lot of "junk mail" and marketing info in teh mail...so you need to make the homeowner want to flip it over to the back.

#4) On the back you want to describe your services and make sure you say you guarantee your work. If you are a small business and local you DEFINITLY want to put your name on the card.

#5) Make and offer! I offered a FREE 21 Point Lawn Assessment (which is always free) and also a Free Perimeter Pest Control when signing up for my lawn services.

As far as a repsonse rate most say you will get about 1%. I ended up getting about a 3% response and was able to close 2%. I paid for my cards more then twice and will hopefully retain these customers for a long time! Great marking tool if done correctly! You can also upsell or keep your name in front of your customers!

I highly recommend Cactus Mailing! They do an awesome job and I can't tell you how many times that I was told how professional my post card was. They put a UV coating on the card and it looks like a glossy picture. They will also help you design the card. THIS IS BIG! You can put the same thing on two post cards...but one may be more effective then the other due to placement of info. They do this everyday and know what they are doing!

Cactus will create the card, get you a mailing list and will also send it out for you. You don't even have to touch the card!

Here is the contact info if you are interested:

http://www.cactusmailing.com/contactus.php

For great assistance ask for Joe Mcatee! I talk to Joe pretty often and he is very helpful. You can tell him that Rodney Creech sent you and tell him he can share what I did if you want. That will give you a good idea where to start!

Cactus was also very affordable.

Sorry for the long post...but hard to say all this in a few words!

GOOD LUCK!

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info and time.

5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

what was the cost per card, made and mailed, plus the list?

6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

yup, should have checked the link first!!! The only thing I worry about is how do you know that they are mailing the amount they say they are. I mean it seems they are in a good spot to say they mailed 1000 and only mail 700. I have been ripped off before so have a hard time trusting people.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

The price is determined by the amount you send.

I think when it is all said and done with the customer list, card design, post card and postage it cost me around $1800 for 5000 cards (that was about 9 months ago). I would say that you would be looking at $.30 -.40 each.

That is cheap if you think about it. For every 100 post cards...or $40, you should pick up atleast 1 customer! That is SWEET!

I undersand your concerns about not trusting...but I can tell you that they did a great job for me. That would be VERY dishonest and I hope no Co would do that. I guess it could happen.....but he post card Co wants you to succeed so you will do more business with them!

8. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

If they designed, printed, and mailed 5000 cards for you that is very cheap. Designing and printing for $.10 per card seems awfully low for such a small order. Must be one color, what kinda stock did they print it on?

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Their prices are listed on their website!

I KNOW it is a great deal! You better call them!

You made me second guess myself since it has been almost 9 months since I done this so I got in my records to get the actual price. I paid $545 for the post cards and $1,179 for postage. That is it!

The card was absolutly beautiful and was full color. They don't do the one color two color thing. It is all color, UV coating and is great quality.

Call Cactus and have them e-mail you a copy of my card so you can get an idea of their work.

I am telling you it is totally awesome!

10. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to sound skeptical, I was a little beer'd up last night :). I haven't looked at the website yet but that is an awesome deal. Not to get off on a tangent but that is the cool thing (and sometimes the scary thing) about todays marketplace. The "little guys" are now able to compete with the big guys price-wise on so many fronts that they weren't able to say 15 or 20 years ago. If you were limited to the local print shop it would cost you a small fortune to make a run like that.