Post Cards/ Direct Mail

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mowmoney00, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Mowmoney00

Mowmoney00 LawnSite Member

I'm talking with a large company on producing 10,000 postcard size mailers for me. Digital images, glossy postcards, professional writers, and so on. Direct marketing is a great targeting tool. For everyone who has done this...let me know whats your success rate on this. Thanks
    :D

2. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Hey Jonathon,
    From all the information I have obtained (including my own historical data), 1~2% success rate is about the norm. The success rate I am referring to just people who call, not necessarily if they take you up on your service. Anything above that would be very abnormal. Of course, out of 10K mailers, if you get 1% that would equal 100 calls.

I for one think direct marketing is one of the best tools out there (in fact, you have probably received info from me in the past through some direct mailings). The factor that intrigues me in regards to direct mailings is the fact that you can target a certain demographic group (i.e., home size, income, subdivision, etc.), thus directing your business to certain clientel that you want to obtain.

3. Mowmoney00

Hey Jason,
    Yeah, I am expecting 1% or hopefully on the higher side towards 2% would be GREAT! I did recieve your direct mailing and it looks really good. I want to talk to you about some jobs coming up in Febuary (2 houses / about 22 yds. midnight)-Broadlands. I'll stop by and see you at the shop next week. Thanks Jason

P.S. How did your advertising and article do in the M'boro Mag....

4. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

I did not receive as many calls from the magazine as I thought I should have. I thought did better with the direct mail (at least for the money). From my understanding from someone else, they are planning on discountinuing the M'boro Magazine - I do know they moved to Nashville a while back. They also publish a Nashville magazine that covers Davidson and Williamson - they probably are going to concentrate in that area if the rumor is true.

5. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

jkelton, If you don't mind what was your closing rate with the 1% response? Thanks, Tony

6. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

I probably got between 1/2 and 3/4 of the homeowners who called. But, I made my own database of potential customers myself and I was very particuliar on my demographics, thus I did not send out nearly as many as I would have otherwise.

7. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, I appreciate the info

8. BODIDDLY

BODIDDLY LawnSite Member

hey,
    I live in mboro and im interested in how jason and jonathon
    got so big!I work a full time job and would like to quit to cutt grass this year!I mow about 10 residential yards and would like to triple that.Do you think flyers are good idea?Any help would be nice.Also how much is direct mail gonna cost you,say about a thousand people?

9. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

First of all, I don't think I'm that big. I'm a little different than most of the guys in this forum - I only do mulch installations.

Flyers and direct mail are good things to try - postcards are probably the easiest to do. Postage will cost you $0.23 a piece - figure your cost to print them out (you can do four per page) and there you have the cost. I know Jonathon has done other type of advertising, but I would venture to say that he would not offer up any hints since you said you were located in M'boro.

10. Mowmoney00

Yeah i'm with Jason on this, I don't think I'm that big at all.

Jason uses alot of direct marketing because his business is concentrated on a couple of specific services. Which makes it easier to stress your point to customers. I've done direct marketing, yellow pages, team sponsorship, donation, customer newsletters, coupon mint, and flyers (just to name a few). Believe it or not Flyers has gotten alot of my business in the past. This past year most of our business came from referals, which is always the cheapest and best advertising.

My advice to you Bodiddly is to find a easy way to get your message accross (because of your fulltime job) and run with it. There is plenty of work in the Boro to make all of us happy.

But please do me one favor.....don't drag down mowing prices. There's too many guys out today selling for 15 and 20 dollars per cut and that's way too low. Don't sell yourself short, have confidence and you can get any job you want.....

P.S. If you want to do bulk mail, try Cadell's Compute for the good bulk mail prices. Jason may know other's with a better price.