Post Dated Checks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, May 17, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I had a customer send a check to me post dated for the end of the month with a note saying please don't cash this until that date. I'm not really sure how to feel about this. On one hand it's bs that she would pull something like this, and it's like having a sandwhich you can't eat for 2 weeks. The other hand, it's not like I'm hurting for the $$ and at least she sent me the check. Any thoughts? Should I be mad, offended, etc?
  2. proequipment

proequipment Inactive

That a hard one sounds to me they are over extended just hope they dont start paying you quarterly and skip town.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Post dating checks doesn't hold any weight. You could cash it tomorrow if you wanted to.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

An effort to do their best to pay is ok by me. People have money problems, and at least they are trying. Would it be better if they cancelled?
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Bills go out on the 1st and are due on the 15th. We have a few customers that will come out after they receive their bill in the mail, and ask us to hold the check for an extra week or whatever. If the customer is a good monthly account bringing in good dollars, it's no big deal for us to hold the check.
    I was getting my hair done recently, and my hairdresser's insurance guy stopped in to renew her policy. When she went to pay him, she asked him to hold her check for two weeks. He said, "Sure no problem." I think it is a common request nowadays.
    I am not offended when someone postdates or asks to hold a check.
  6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

In Nebraska if you agree to hold a post dated check, and it bounces the county attorney's office will not help with collection. As soon as you agree to hold the check, it becomes a promissory note, and you are on your own.
  7. Stephen M.

Stephen M. LawnSite Member

Legally, checks become legal tender the day they are written.

I occasionally get a client who puts the wrong date on or even forgets to date it, but my bank will process them anyway and deposit the money into my account.

This is where you need a strict credit policy. I have had a client now and then test my credit policy to find that I give little leeway because of a few abuses in the past. If I give a little leeway and that is abused, that leeway is recinded. I have lost accounts because of it, but that doesn't matter. If the person is a S-L-O-W P-A-Y-E-R, it doesn't help with cash flow, the life blood of your business. I don't miss the income if they cancel because of my stringent policy; it costs more to go after past due accounts. Time is money and I like to be paid within 30 days of billing.
  8. dirty mo possy

dirty mo possy LawnSite Member
    from ct

If they are a regular customer and ask me to hold a check I will. I would rather have a post dated check than have to send them reminder notices. I would only be concerned if they did it constantly.
  9. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I will hold a check for no more than 5 business days if they post date it. It becomes a PITA for us, because we sometimes misplace them and then its even more of a problem.. Checks get deposited on Monday. So a post dated check goes in the next money after I get it.. It's all stated in my contract that I have the 5 day policy, it also states the customer is responsible for a $35.00 fee per occurance if the check bounces.
  10. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I am having the same problems with a few of my customers. Instead of getting a post dated check, I get something like can you wait until next week, THEN I WILL PAY YOU. I like to be nice and work with the customer but enough is enough. I think that the customer should not get a service done if they do not have the money to pay you on the spot. But in the real world this is not the case.

I think you should wait until the date but you might want to have a talk with the customer on that issue and have a note or something on your invoice reguarding payment plans.