Post-Dated Checks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by proenterprises, Nov 3, 2004.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I just recieved 2 post dates checks for leaf clean-ups today (wednesday) and they are both dated for Friday. One is a one time customer and the other is a regular.

Its not that big of a deal, 2 days isint going to kill me.

Just wondering what you other guys do, if anything on post dates checks.?

2. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure what your local laws are, but here in Nebraska if you accept a post dated check or even a correctly dated check with the customer "joking" that it will bounce it is now a promissory note. In either case the county attorney will not help collect it if is returned insufficient, you are on your own. We don't accept them.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

My mother in law has been in banking for 20 years. She told me once before that the date on a check has nothing to do with when to cash it. Someone could write you a check dated for next year, and the bank will still cash it today( at least in Pa and WV)..But as far as accepting a check from someone on Monday saying " it will be good by Friday", I tell them Visa right now is good for me....

4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use bank of america, and I have had customers give me checks without a date as well as post dated checks, I still deposit them and they go through no problem. Its not even an issue these days.

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I have found banks will also cash checks that aren't signed, as well.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

They also cash checks that weren't even made out to yoe. I guess thats what you get when banks hire tellers at $8 an hour for a 25-30 hour week.

I've always just cashed post-dated checks with no problems. I would only wait on a check for a good customer that asks nicely.

Also, all banks that I have dealt with have a "merchant check verification" number to can call. You enter the customers checking account # and the amount of the check, and they tell you if there's enough cash to cover it.

7. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

SOunds suspicious. A post dated is saying they don't have the money, but in the future they will have the money. What if something else happens and they write another check and bounce yours.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have never been able to cash a check that is post-dated.

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Nor have I. For anyone that did the bank just didn't catch it is all. They probably post dated it due to the New Check 21 Law since they couldn't float it anymore. Also is all states if you accept a Post Dated check you cannot file any criminal charges (only Civil) if it is bad.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

here writing a bad check is illegal. the courts WILL ger your money if you pursue it. if not they will do some time.

banks will DEPOSIT the check to your account becuase if a problem arises with it they will deuct the $$ from your account