Post Emergence Grassy Weed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Meier, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

If you have a customer with a bermuda lawn sign up for new service after missing the necessary pre-emergence applications with grassy weed problems, how do you price that?

I have a customer with 10,500 sq ft of bermuda lawn with individual fescue plants scattered all over the lawn. I didn't charge extra to treat the grassy weeds, but I was there for a solid hour today spot treating with MSMA.

I think I've read here on lawnsite that the stated industry goal is something like $110/man hr.

When I was with Chemlawn, I don't remember ever charging extra for post-emergence grassy weed control, but it's been over a decade since I worked for them.

Also, along the same longs: Manage for Nutsedge. Do most people in the industry charge extra for that?

DFW, TX
  2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

If not pre-emergent was applied, I put post-emergent in the program. Actually, if pre-emerg is applied, I still put post-emergent in the program,at least one or two apps (pre-m wont prevent everything from germination,like Dalis Grass, wild onions,etc).
  3. For program clients;

If I have to spray some of the expensive chemicals, I don't charge, but if it is a lot, I charge extra that is above and beond the agreement.

Why didn't you just blanket the yard, could have done the whole yard in 10 minutes?

Pricing the Drive 75 or Manage, I haven't had to charge yet.

In the past I was doing a guestamate of how long + materials.
  4. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

++++Why didn't you just blanket the yard, could have done the whole yard in 10 minutes?++++

I was trying to stamp out Fescue from a Bermuda lawn. In order to get the fesuce, you pretty much have to brown the bermuda too.

Plus, it was just sodded in December.

Spot treating made sense to me.

DFW, TX
  5. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Interested in what use used to remove fescue from bermuda and did it work... I have a new customer with 80 % fes... not willing to resod... and wants to keep the bermuda.. any recommendations and rate would be great?:dizzy:
  6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

What state are you in? What about very little irrigation and mowing it short? The Bermuda can tolerate and survive with very little water and low growth. I really think if your customer is serious about wanting the Bermuda, then he/she needs to be willing to pay for sod, or yet even seed. With no sod or seed put down, I would think your customer will be waiting a good long while for the Bermuda to take over and the fescue to die out. A really long time.
  7. roundup will kill tall fescue, but won't kill bermunda!
    bermunda will look dead, but comes right back!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. LawnMagic1

LawnMagic1 LawnSite Member

I spot spray Image (2oz per 3gal H2O) to take out the fescue and any perrenial rye. I only charge extra if I have to treat the entire lawn. You could wait until the bermuda goes dormant and spray Roundup to take out the fescue....if your client is willing to wait that long.

Good Luck!
  9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

So, after the 80% fescue is killed off, and you have the 20% Bermuda left, what will your client do with all the thin and bare spots in the lawn? Those bare and thin spots will be full of weeds in no time. I dont think I would do this renovation with out seed or sod.
  10. mr.lawnzap

mr.lawnzap LawnSite Member
    from tulsa

best case scenario would have been hitting those fescue clumps with roundup when bermuda was dormant, the fescue should die out if its in full sun when it gets hot and stays hot,from what i read this lawn is bermuda w/fescue clumps her and there so if its not my advice would be different. ask the customer how bad he wants that fescue gone, if he wants it gone bad tell him you can round-up it but it will temporarily damage the bermuda around the area sprayed but that the bermuda will come back in a short period of time and be green as ever. i always have wild fescue clumps her and there that i hit with prosecutor when its round 1 pre-em time. if you fert this guy too you could use a high nitrogen fert to burn the fescue and weaken it if not kill it and be helping the bermuda at the same time.