Post Emergent Crabgrass Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rob Spread & Spray, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

We have had some heavy rains this past spring that broke down our Dimension App and now Crabgrass is out of control. What rate of Acclaim are you you guys using? Is 1 app doing the trick or is it taking 2?

I have been going with 1 oz of Acclaim per gal and also using Hawkeye for a surfactant and results are very slow.

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

move to Drive 75 with MSO, you won't need another app.

3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I was very disspointed in the areas I used Acclaim this season for post m crabgrass control.

4. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

ive been using Q4 as a post emergent the last few weeks. the stuff smokes crabgrass....

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Using Acclaim at the 1 oz rate, but make sure the leaf surface is really wet. Getting varied results anywhere from 4-5 days to 10-14 days. Guess it depends on the applicator.
    Can;t use drive in NY.

6. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys spray crab when an area is totally covered with it? Won't it leave big dead spots? Or will the grass quickly fill in? This our first year with chemicals and I am wondering how aggressive to be with the crab killer.

BTW, Drive 75 has worked great for us even without MSO.

7. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I spray a LOT of new lawns that are infested with crabgrass-I make sure to tell the homeowners that they are going to be seeing a lot of purplish-red, and then alot of brown. I tell them you can see a lot now, or see a ton when it grows another 2 mo. and the frost kills it off. The other thing to make sure of when doing infestations of crab is to watch the overlaps! With a boom type sprayer yo will definitely stripe the lawn where you missed:cry: Man, that stuff is a life saver!

8. NNL&LS

NNL&LS Banned
    from zone 5

We have also had really good results with Drive and Q4.. Q4 has some broadleaf control as well.

9. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to second that, it also knocks down the nut sedge and spurge as well :clapping:

10. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

What rates have you guys been starting out with on the Q4. I am using 2.0/k and am not getting the results as fast as I would like, I am also using some soap to help stick. I didn't want to mix too strong because of our extreme high temps. Have you guys seen any damage from Q4 because of herbicide burn? I didn't know if it would burn as bad because it is water-based.