Post emergent crabgrass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jtrice11, May 12, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year applying fertilizer and pesticides, so far we've had good results. I do have one large property that is very picky about crabgrass and they have some problem areas. Does anyone have any opinions on what is a good post emergent crabgrass killer?

2. PhrankW

PhrankW LawnSite Member

For bermuda or zosa spray MSMA for majoy problem areas. For minor problems simply dab the center of the plant with Roundup using a small 1" paint brush. You don't have to soak all the leaves, just dab the middle. When the plant dies you'll have a quarter size dead spot that the other grass will fill in easily.

For rye, bluegrass, or fescue turf then spray the weed with Roundup and then in two weeks re-seed the areas.

For St. Augustine just fertilize, mow, and water aggresively. The St. Augusting will take over on it's own.

3. jtrice11

We've got bluegrass up here, I assume then my only option is to kill it with round up and re-seed? I'd say some of the areas are about half the size of a coffee table.

4. PhrankW

PhrankW LawnSite Member

You're correct. Be sure to get this property on a pre-emergent program in the early fall and early spring to prevent this again next year. Barricade, Surflan, & Pendulum or just a few that will work great.

5. jtrice11

Thanks for the info, we put down pre emergent this spring and it handled most of it, but we still have a few areas.

So we should do this again in the early fall, I'm in Mpls Minnesota. What month would be appropriate?

I want to keep this folks happy.

6. PhrankW

PhrankW LawnSite Member

I would check with your local Agriculture agent for the dates in your area. I would think it would be in September for your fall and then late February or early March for spring. His number can be found in the blue pages of your phone book.

7. jtrice11

I'm on it, thanks again for the info.

Jeff

8. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Why not use a post emergent on whats up now? DSMA, MSMA, Acclaim Extra, or Drive?

9. PhrankW

PhrankW LawnSite Member

There's nothing wrong with using Roundup now but it's probably not warm enough for Jeff to spray MSMA yet. According to the label the temps need to be between 80 & 90 and he's located in Minnesota.

10. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

True, true. I guess round up is the way unless there is a lot.