Post Hole Digging Prices Please !!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by twins_lawn_care, Nov 19, 2003.

1. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I have done a search, but only found one or two relevant posts, so I'm turning here, hoping a few more people are involved in the forum nowadays.
    Here's the situation, I've been approached to dig some post holes come the springtime, and wanted to get an idea of what to charge.
    The owner put in his last fence by himself, but this time (new house) wants nothing to do with digging the holes. He is doing all the marking, and surveying, and contacting Julie, all I am doing in coming in, digging holes, and disposing of the dirt, that's it.
    I was wondering what is a good price to charge, if there is one per hole. There will be 16 total, and the dimensions my best guess will be 8" diameter, and around 24" to 30" deep.
    I'd appreciate any help guys/gals.

I was also looking into renting an auger (gas post hole digger) as this seems as though it would reduce the time by a ton! not to mention the blisters:cry:

Thanks again everyone.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I charge $10 a hole if I have trac there, or $12 plus $75 for delievery of trac. If they complain just let do a few themselfs then $10/12 will seem cheap

3. weedwoop

weedwoop LawnSite Member

I have been charging $60 / hr for most tractor work. A couple weeks ago I drilled 46 holes for a post and rail fence in about two hrs. I sure would have liked to have gotten $12 per hole on that one. However, i have also heard of guys getting the augar hung up on a rock or root and had to spend an hour or two digging it out by hand. Than the $12 doesn't look so great.

4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

TWINS - I hope your ILL dirt isn't the heavy clay we have in Indy. I put in my own fence last year. Rented a 2-man gas auger. Couldn't get more than 4 inches deep. Went back and rented a Bobcat w/auger and that had a tough time.

Mike

5. olderthandirt

from here

I base my price on two things #1 I have the trac there doing a lawn install or something so I just have to put the auger on and most of the one I do are for decks or small area fencing 10-15 holes. #2 I don't care if I ever do any so if they din't like my price thats fine with me.

6. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

For post holes, we just use a one man auger. Charge 43 an hour. Does just fine. Can do ten holes 4 ft deep in about 4 hours.

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Hey twins- Are you doing this solo, or with a laborer? Make sure to include your basic "stop time" into your pricing. We have a minimum charge regardless of what we do. Figure in your minimum time to cover expenses, etc.,Then figure what you need to be profitable for drilling 16 holes. If we were to do this job, I would charge no less than 165.00 to come in and drill, and remove excess dirt from the site. With any luck , you could be done in as little as two hours with a laborer.Good luck.

8. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
    My plan was to have myself and one guy working there, and renting a one man auger (or should I get a 2 man?) I was estimating about 4-5 hours labor, guessing since I've never done this before. So I was going to quote somewhere between $250 and $315. I figured this would make some money, with the benefit of having a learning experience.
    Do you guys think I am too low, or too high, or just about right?

I think he was expecting 2 guys, for 2 - 8 hour days, so 32 man hours, thinking it would be done all by hand. So with 32 hours, I'd figure he'd be expecting a bill of about at least $320 ($10/hr)

Any thoughts appreciated!

9. olderthandirt

from here

My # would have been around $275 but I'm using a trac with down pressure so about an hr to drill plus drive time.

10. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

i cannot understand the times it is taking some folks to dig holes...if my math is correct, which it may not be, it is taking you 24 mins to dig one hole...there is no reason why 16 holes can't be knocked out in 1hr including scooping the little dirt that comes out of the hole...if you rent an auger, two man, include the rental fee/pick up drop off, helper pay, and how much you want to make...if it cost 45 for the auger, i would give the helper a 50 spot, and charge the customer 250...by the time you pick up/ drop off the auger and get rid of the excess dirt you should have no less than 3hrs in the job...