Post Office Losing Invoices & Checks!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Critical Care, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, I am getting PO’d at the PO (Post Office) for losing things in the mail! What is going on? It’s been every month that one or more invoices don’t make it through, a payment gets lost, or even both. These things aren’t just late, but they never show up at all. I have a secured locked mailbox, and I feel confident that the mail isn’t being meddled with. So what the hey? Is it time for the Post Office to retire their pony espresso riders and let someone else handle the mail???
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I know what you mean. I would really like to be able to email the invoices each month, but most of our clients are elderly, and they aren't hooked up to the internet. I mean every month, i get a call on the 5th or 6th of the month, from one of our customers saying, "i haven't received my invoice yet." They know I mail 'em out on the 1st each month, and if they don't get it, they will call. that is a nice plus to having elderly clients, they do like to pay their bills.
    so I agree with you, what IS happening with the mail? makes you really wonder what mail you aren't getting that you don't even know you were supposed to receive.:dizzy:

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I know what your saying. They mess up a couple of pieces a year. Recently I mailed a check to mvc for a truck reg. A month went by and no check came back to me. I got a letter from the PO stating my letter was undeliverable, in other words they fubar-ed it. The only ID they had was the address on the check in the letter. Luckily I found out before the end of this month when my registration expires.::hammerhead:
  4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Happened to me twice this season. One time i was mailing out an invoice and after about a month it got sent back to me saying it was undeliverable. The second time a customer sent me a payment ( i never got it so i started adding late fees) she called me and explained it was sent and so on, finally it showed up almost two months later with the exact date she said she mailed it on stamped on the envelope. I have no idea where it was for those two months the post office answer was just "be happy i even got it".
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I got one for you. I received a check from a commerical client last week that comes from their corp office in NY. The check was for the normal monthly amount of $15,160.00 BUT it wasn't sealed at all. No one had wet the glue on the envelope so it is only by shear luck that the check was still in the envelope. :eek:
  6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i used to have people claim they didnt get a bill. but after sending another one they still didnt pay. your people are probably just trying to screw you. the ones that call you and say they didnt get a bill are truthful... but none of mine would ever call. we have dropped all customers that ever gave us a problem. now its a rare occasion we get a complaint. that, plus using all salvadorian employees and no more white boys.
  7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

What happened to the Mexicans?
  8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

2 of the three began to act quite lazy. one was always running off and hiding on large commercial accounts. they were all very nice and polite and i liked them a lot at first. i tried working with them to get them better, but it got to the point i was having to hire additional people cause we were getting behind. i cut the hours of 2 of the mexicans as any 1 of the salvadorians were doing as much work as those 2 mexicans combined. the salvadorians were also getting upset as the mexicans constantly needed brakes and were slowing them down. the white guys i had this year were more productive than the h2b workers. then one monday the 3 mexicans were gone when we went to pick them up. the 2 on mow crews were each getting $10/hr and the laziest one was on landscape crew at 7.50/hr. $7.19/hr was the minimum wage and what most people are started at.

the original salvadorian just passed his 6 month mark and got added to the company health insurance. he'll get more benifits after a year as will all the other employees that stay long enough. however, im guessing the salvadorian trend will continue. just wish MD had sent some salvadorians like i originally asked for. they said to much bs with that government. im not planning on using MD or other h2b program next year. ive become acquainted with a large local salvadorian group.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

My PO Box is 331...I get mail regularly for 133, possibly a dyslexic postal employee at work....hmmm... what I never get is, how come no good-looking postal employees (women that is)...all postal workers look as if life has beaten them down...I'm sure they don't care where your mail ends up...
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Man you guys better appreciate what these postal workers do, riding around in a non air-conditioned POS truck all day every day rain or shine, sleet or heat. I also feel like the other guy said that if the customer calls you to tell you they never received an invoice then they are concerned and they speak the truth but that the rest are lying and trying to blame it on the post office, it's just another version of 'check is in the mail,' well yes sure I sent it uh-huh ...

As for why the post office workers look like they do, I'll stop by sometime on one of your real big jobs where you've worked hard ALL day in the heat and see how you look lol. That, or go get a job at the post office but first make up your mind that you will change forever the way things are done today and that you will be the absolute best worker they have ever had and that you will revolutionize postal mail delivery, then don't forget to look in the mirror every day for about the next year or three.