Post office problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tx_angler, Nov 9, 2004.

1. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I mail invoices on the 25th of the month. Most of the time checks start arriving about a week later, but I have two customers that as far as i know don't know each other and they both claimed last month they never received an invoice and this month one just called and she said the invoice was postmarked the 25th but it just arrived in her mail box today (15 days after I mailed it).

They both live in the next town over and it's only about 10 miles away. Does this sound reasonable, or you think am I getting jerked around?

2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

It could go eather way. Make notes so you don't for get who your talking about. As long as you get paid and it doesn't happen again with the same customer it's cool. The post office does screw up from time to time.

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think that you are necessarily getting jerked around. Maybe a simple human mistake, but not intentional. I worked for the P.O. years ago, to get my government retirement. You stick it in the box. It is picked-up by that local P.O., and shipped-out to the distribution Center. The D.C. operates 24X7. Things move absolutely too fast there for anyone to even try and mess with your mail. Besides, they would loose their job. Same with the person picking up at the mailbox. NOW THE SECOND HALF. The mail arrives at that town's P.O.. It is "put-up" at that certain mail carriers desk. (arranged in the order of delivery). NOW, it has been broken-down to an individual letter, going to a certain mail customer, and being carried by a certain mail person. BUT, the only mail that is "accounted for" is Express Mail, Certified Mail and Registered Mail. SO, your bills swim through the system entirely un-accounted for. AND, the only time that they are broken down to individual pieces is with the mailman at the destination point. I don't think that this mishap would ever happen again. I think that it was just a coincidence. Let the next month's bill go out, and watch it from there. Should it happen again, go to see YOUR postmaster. Explain it to him, especially after it has happened TWICE to you. He will get in touch with the other postmaster, and should the situation continue, they will inform the Post Office Investigators. The invesigators have a "way" of tracing a letter, and every single stop that it takes. The U.S. Mail, in general, is probably the most "secure" unsecure delivery system in the world. Let us know how you make out.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my dad worked for the post office for about 28 years, and yes sometimes stuff happens. It also matters when you mailed (the day of the week and the time) and whether there was a government holiday.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I have this problem with the "in town" box. You know, the separate slot for mail staying within your zipcode. Always have one customer a month (never the same customer) who calls me weeks later looking for their bill. Nice of them if you ask me. I don't know why this problem doesn't happen with out of town mail.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I had a customer that didnt pay me once, said she sent it and gave me another check. About 6 months later, I got the check in the mail. It does happen from time to time. I have also had customers (great payers) say they paid and give a check #, and never got it. No one is perfect, not even a government run service, if you can beleive that.

7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

It is possible I called a customer 2 days ago to see if we were still plowing for them this year she said she did not get the contract and I put it in the main October 1st.

8. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I have received envelopes in the mailbox that were half torn up and in a plastic bag. At least the post office delivered it.

ps: if someone says that they paid you, always get a copy of the check, front and back.

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Happens every so often. Sometimes the customer doesn't get the bill, sometimes I don't get their check. I stopped using small payment envelopes because they got lost so often. THey'd show up a month or two later with a postmark of 2 months ago on it. The mail service isn't really that reliable.

10. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yah! it happens to me more than it should. Just this month, Saturday I get a check That was post marked Oct 9th and Saturday was November 6th! I even had a check go back to a customer saying "no such address" She showed it to me and it had my address right on it! But the post office sent it back to her!