Post Pics of Bermuda Lawns

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by 1999frontier, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Jblplyr

Jblplyr LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

This is common bermuda cut with a 20" commercial McLane in Yukon, OK. I cut it at .5" and water every other day.

IMG00062.jpg

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks great,:clapping: what type common is it, Blackjack?
    Looks taller than 1/2" to me, but pic's can be deceiving.

3. Jblplyr

Jblplyr LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

Honestly, I'm not sure. This was the grass that was here when I moved in and I just started mowing it with a reel right away. It took a couple years to train the entire yard.

4. Autoflow

Autoflow LawnSite Member

Beautiful lawn Jblplyr.

I can't wait for Spring here in Oz so I can have a nice green striped lawn again. Mine is white at the moment and looks awful.

5. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I have some yards that will fill my Grasspacker catcher completely packed full within 50 to 75 feet in the right part of the season (cut weekly). They are EXTREMELY thick Bermuda. I cut at 2" early in the season, then move up to 2.5 as it gets hotter and drier. And I've never used a reel mower in my life.

Now don't get me wrong, your lawn looks awesome cut low with a reel. I love looking at the pics on here of the reel-cut Bermuda lawns. There's no comparison to a rotary-cut lawn, in terms of quality. But to say that Bermuda will NEVER be thick unless it's done that way is just not true.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I would believe you Shooter, but this lawn was cut the same way, at 2" and I will promise you its more dense. I also have customers that I cut with a rotary mower and they are nowhere close to this thick. I guess you would just have to see it in person.

I'll see if I can get a picture today of my grass with it pushed down to the ground for you to see.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

Cgaengineer, I'm not saying your grass isn't thicker. It may very well be......in fact, I'm certain it is, because of the time spent on it, and the way it is cut. I'm just trying to say that you CAN in fact have very thick Bermuda and never touch it with a reel mower, and cut it above 2".

A couple of my lawns are so thick.......I really don't think they could be any thicker. There's just no room left for anything to grow. It's really hard to even use a string trimmer in the corners. It just doesn't want to sink in at all. Almost like trying to trim carpet or something. The roots must be a major tangled mess......

Which brings up a question: How does a person trim areas that the mower won't get without scalping when the lawn is cut at .5"? I guess you just have to be really good with a string trimmer?

8. cgaengineer

I'm really good with a string trimmer...high rpm's is the key, along with thin string. Really and truly you need a trimmer with a counter rotating blade to do a nice job, string trimming tears the hell out of reel cut bermuda.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Got a question dave and chris... My lawn doesn't look quiet like either of yours yet. It looks good just not as thick with horizontal growth. it still grows vertically. Do ya'll think it is from a dull blade tearing the grass as opposed to snipping it? My fert program has been pretty good. I still have about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of root or stem even after lowering my front roller as low as it would go and the back one on the .5 postion...

10. cgaengineer

For one thing you need to cut more often! Every 2-3 days.if you started cutting at .5" you should raise it to .75 or 1".
    Posted via Mobile Device