Post Pics of Bermuda Lawns

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by 1999frontier, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

That is very true. A Hybrid Bermuda should be cut at least twice a week if it is mown below 3/4 of an inch.

On a golf green, they mow everyday.

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, I agree with Chris, if you want the golf course look, you need to cut twice a week, sanding helps to.
    I wouldn't use to much N either, makes it grow to fast, use iron to keep it green.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Apply N when you start to see seed heads.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

I've heard over time that hybrid Bermuda will over time, start to revert back to common Bermuda. I think certain hybrid cultivars are more susceptible to this than some. This probably explains why some older Hybrid Bermudas will have more seed heads than newer lawns. Plus summer stress adds to the lawn producing more seed heads.

Speaking of hybrid Bermuda cultivars, were you aware that hybrid Bermudas are not bred in nature, but were actually mutations when they exposed common Bermuda to gamma ray radiation? Sounds like science fiction but this is the truth. It is known as "mutation breeding" and has created crops that have much more desirable traits are produce more. Much like humans will have mutations when exposed to nuclear radiation, so will plants. Just a interesting fact.

5. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

I know know about the nitrogen making it jump. Literrally i mowed my back yard day before yesterday with my ztr at 2.75 which is pretty dang low and it is time to mow it again... Front yard needed that kinda nitrogen though to make it bounce back out.

6. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats funny, from what I understand about mutation is, it always degrades and never improves. I've never seen an animal that improved its self after an mutation.

7. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

i cut most of mine at 2.50" to 3.25"

this is heavily fertilized and mowed at 3.25"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i posted a picture earlier in the thread of a bermuda yard that was scalped now its not worth showing the owners quit the fert and squirt its a shame it was one of the better yards i had

8. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

ooops.. Just put some 24-0-11 on pretty heavily... Oh well. Better luck next time i guess...

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

That's fine Jonathan, I have been using the seed heads as my guide.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Dman911

Dman911 LawnSite Member

May get called a hippie, but, woundn't have too much contact with the grass on a golf course and skin. Also wouldn't ever touch face after touching the putting green. Think about it...wait for it...ahh