1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Post Pics of Bermuda Lawns

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by 1999frontier, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

Right now I cut my grass at 2 with a Rotary JD La135, and it looks damn good. I have done a lot of work with top dressing though and fertilizing.

In the earlier months when it is cooler and hasn't taken complete color yet, I will use a friends 'reel' every now and then.

I am proof that you can get a yard looking 80-90 percent of its best with a rotary, but for that extra effect to 100%, I believe you must use a reel.

I personally hate cutting with a rotary as I know it just rips and tears through the grass. I still manage to keep it really short, but a reel gives it a different looking short that I prefer.

And to the guy who talked about walking on greens barefoot that is a crazy idea. They put out chems with a chem suit and respirator.
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

A reel slices the grass and leaves the tops nicely cut, a rotary whacks the grass and leaves the tops ragged and torn...the difference in cut between a rotary and a reel is night and day...not even close. I have been cutting mine with my rotary lately because its trying to go dormant from lack of irrigation and its not worth using the reel and although it looks good, its really not the look I am after.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

A reel will cut ANY lawn better than a rotary. I know this first hand because I used to maintain my personal lawn, which is fescue, with a Cal Trimmer reel and it looked amazing, received many compliments. For Bermuda, especially hybrid, a reel is a must. I see so many mow-blow-n-go guys using a rotary on bermuda and it looks pretty bad, it would look 20 times better if they used a reel.
  4. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Must be nice, Chris lol... June the 13th or 14th it was 101 with a heat idex of 109. WE had that three days in a row. I scalped my yard around this time and irrigated heavily. It looks as if i should have done it earlier because i still have brown spots!
  5. Cloud9Landscapes

from Ca

Laid 300sqf of Tifgreen 328 bermuda in backyard last Saturday. Now to accomplish those beds and install a new wall in place of that ratty fence.

6. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

a shot in the dark but do u do work in cumming? im almost 100% sure that ive seen u around... white single cab chevy with 2 exmark or toro walk behinds??
  7. Autoflow

Autoflow LawnSite Member

Spring here in Australia. Starting to get some colour back in our lawns.

Balintore2 (Small).JPG

Balintore (Small).JPG
  8. Cloud9Landscapes

from Ca

Looks great AutoFlow! Strange how the seasons are opposite of those of us that are in the northern hemisphere. If I didn't know you were in Australia, I would have guessed Newport Beach, California. It looks almost exactly the same!
  9. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice edging on that property.....:waving:
  10. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

AutoFlow what are you mowing with?