1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Post Pics of Bermuda Lawns

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by 1999frontier, Apr 15, 2009.

1. 95Z71

95Z71 LawnSite Member

Lawn looks good, mine kinda favors yours...should we cut it shorter? I am not using a reel mower (I supposed you are not either) yet but would it look like others if I used a reel?

Thanks

2. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm needing to topdress my lawn as well. Especially now, since the city dug up a portion of it yesterday to fix a water leak.

So you're saying wait till June, and then scalp it, then topdress? We usually only scalp in Feb/March, then increase height from there. Wouldn't a June scalp knock it back too much, and invite weeds?

3. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

Yes! I topdressed my bermuda lawn this past June and was very pleased with the results. Trust me you will definitely want to scalp before putting the sand down. The longer the grass the harder the sand is to spread. You will scalp in feb/march like normal and then again in june right before topdressing. The sand will cover up the majority of grass and become the new ground for the lawn. Once it starts growing back through it will be like getting a new lawn.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Scalping bermuda does not set it back...it invigorates it. June is the best time because its growing rapidly, we are getting rain and the temps are cooler...but warm enough for growth.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

Too late to scalp in many of your guy's climates. Best time is late May-June, like CGA said. Before topdressing, I always scalp.

6. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I knew to scalp it first, I just figured I could do it in the early spring when we do our normal scalping. I guess it makes sense to do it during peak growth, however. Only bad thing is that it'll look bad for a while until it recovers.

7. Autoflow

Autoflow LawnSite Member

Thanks. That estate is a little different to other areas around it. It is a very expensive estate for its location. The house in the background is for sale for just under 3 Million.

Thank you!

Its a 20" Scott Bonner reel mower. I posted a pic of it in this thread a few months back.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3637557&postcount=313

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  8. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

It won't look bad long... mine was filled back in within 2 weeks.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The point of scalping in June is so it doesn't look bad for long.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

Many of the "educated" naysayers will tell you not to scalp your Bermuda or zoysia in June. But guess what, people have been doing it for centuries with great success. The nicest Bermuda lawns in my area are all scalped once per year. Don't forget what a difference aeration can make too. Same goes for topdressing, many say it is a crazy idea, but guess what, the nicest lawns that I have ever seen are all top dressed. I think we all need to remember to stick to basics and time proven techniques.