post yellow page ads

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by EagleLandscape, Dec 1, 2003.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I'm gonna start advertising in the yellow pages, but what size should i do? Can anyone post theirs so I can see what works, or what 'doesnt' work.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi jwingfield2k,

Here are a couple from this post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I just took one out...display ad approximately 2"x3". $100/month for my local directory and $40/month for neighboring area directory. Figure if I get two full service accounts it'll pay for itself. Sorry, but I have no way of attaching the image. The phone company set my ad up with revisions made by myself. No space was wasted with clipart like Team Gopher showed in bottom ad, mine is more like the top ad. Just listed services provided and some catchy one liners to draw attention. Only one other display ad in my local directory under "Lawn Maintenance"....the "Landscape Contractors" section was 5 pages. I figured I'd be lost in that section and at this point am directing all resources towards lawn maintenance anyways. The best thing about advertising in they yelow pages is that 9 times out of 10 when a person looks in the yellow pages they are ready to buy.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Choose what category you want to place your ad. Look at the ads that are there. Now try and get your hands on some older phonebooks and see whose ads are there. See if you see a pattern. There is a guy here locally that advertises in a neighborhood newsletter.....every month. I has been there for every month for the last couple years. Either this guy is incredible stupid, or something is working for him. Catch my drift?

5. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Here in my area there are 4 or 5 phone books that get delivered to everyone's home each year. I chose to advertise in one of the off brands with a 1/3 page ad. It was $1,800 cash and it went into 160,000 books. My target market is only about 20% of that geographic area, I'd guess.

The book was delivered in September, so I really only got about one decent month's worth. I'm hoping for better results in March/April. We'll see what happens.

Anyway, over 80% of the calls I've gotten in the yellow pages have been from people who just want one time cuts. I've landed two weekly accounts and one non-recurring job. That's it so far.

Anyway, of the calls I've gotten, it seems that most are people wanting one time cuts who are unable to meet me on the property. Next year, I think I'll stop bidding those jobs altogether...if the home owner can't take the time to meet with me I won't have the time to drive out and bid the work. I almost never win if they won't meet with me face to face, but I win over 80% if I meet them face to face. All too often the house is vacant...for all I know, it's probably another guy who's thinking of getting into the business and wants to see how everyone else in the area prices their stuff.

Anyway, the yellow pages have produced some calls. I'd say on average, about one call every two or three weeks. But the grass has stopped growing here now, so I'll just have to wait til next spring to see if I want to renew. Right now, I think I'm a bigger fan of door hangers...only next year, I'm going to have hired hands help deliver them instead of doing them all myself.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

6. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

This a 2x3" ad, There one under Weed Control, and another under Lawn Maintenance. I pay $135 for 10 months are $1350 total. Its paid for self. Ive had a few people tell me they picked me because my add looked professional. Ive did a really cheap looking add my first year, and got a bunch of cheap people, They would drop me for $5, are because I wanted to charge extra to do something like spray fungicide.

ebay pics (2).jpg

7. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I went down the yellow page route for two years and it was the BIGGEST mistake I ever made. If you dont have 2 crews and arent full time then its toooo hard to keep up with the amount of calls and estimates you get each week.

8. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I just took out an ad in the yellow pages this fall. Book comes out in Feb. With the new business incentives and waiting till the last week before the deadline I got a 2 1/2"x4" full color ad for $189 month. The ad normally would have been around $540 a month. The salesman showed me two ads that they track the call volume on. These ads are 1/4 page ads that cost around $1,100 a month. The call for these two ads averaged 32 calls a month. That would be nice but I can't afford $1,100 a month. Maybe next year.

By the way our yellow pages goes out to more than 500,000 homes.

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a full color half page ad in the yellow pages. Best advertising money you can spend.

10. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

What about an Ad that is 2x2 in-column that says who you are and What you do? What works best? This is my first time for a yellow page ad. the 2x2 Ad is 96.00 mo and a Bus. size card is 150.00 mo. Extra nput would be greatly appreciated.