1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Post your weekly project photos here.

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Lite4, Aug 2, 2007.

1. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Our Quasar 1 and Lunar do not come witha Siliconed lens. If you want this option make sure you specify. We can silicone it in.
  2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

whats the advantage to no lens ? Are you epecting water to get in and run out ?
  3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Billy, how would water get into a fixture that is only meant to be pointed down? There are several manufactures that make lights for down lighting only that have no lens.
  4. JoeyD

This could sound bad but yeah. We have tried just about everything to keep water out of the downlights. But for some reason no matter how much silicone or how tight a plug the water will find a way to run down the wire. So on our fixtures like the Lunar and Quasar 1 whcih have longer shrouds we decided to not silicone a lens in and allow the water to just drip out and not pool up. Plus cleaning a lens in a tree can be a real paina nd rarely gets done. We do provide these lights with our lens packs which you just drop the lens to the end of the shroud but they are not sealed in unless you ask for it. We never see a problem with these lights due to not having a lens in them. In areas where snow flurries are common you may want to add a lens with the fear that the snow could blow up the shroud.

Joey D.
  5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Water ingress into tree mounted downlights has been the downfall of pretty much every single fixture I have ever tried. Hadco, Nightscaping, Cooper, BK, Vista, Kichler... they all suffer the same issue. The CAST tree light is the only fixture I have found that has not leaked.

As for an open fixture like Unique, well there is NO way that will work here. Bugs, Catapillars, Moths, are constantly looking for homes and nesting places and tree mounted lights are a favourite location for them... Also, with our storms, snow and ice, I want my fixtures sealed to the elements. Ideally I would like to see a tree mounted downlight that carries an IP68 rating (Waterproof). The CAST fixture is as close to perfection that I have ever found.
  6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Please let me know how this test works out. Deep freeze is the Key (-30c) would be ideal. Even my 12/2 wire jacket breaks at around -18c or so.

I have packed it in on that job... We got more snow today and it is just too dangerous to continue... it will have to be finished in the spring.
  7. JoeyD

That is why it is an option to have a lens put in it. And not all leak but water just finds a way through some of them
  8. JoeyD

To help us get back on topic.........
    Here are some new Panoramic photos of the Unique "test home"

The job isnt done but it is getting there.
  9. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Very Nice Joey!
  10. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Jeez, that is beautiful. Who's the lucky recipient of that lighting job?