Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Feb 12, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

In a post Eric mentioned getting deck
    level side to side front to back.
    Assuming side to side is dead level.
    what is optimum front to back.Its
    probably in the book but ididnt see
    it.I guess I should mention im talking
    lazer z 52 inch.Is this also level or
    lower in back.If I think I can get this right
    it will save a visit to dealer.THANKS
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

The front of the deck should be pitched at least an 1/8" lower than the rear. You want the front of the blades cutting the grass not the back. You can go as much as 1/4", I think my Choppers are close to that.
  3. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

What about my eXmark wb? W/ 1/2" increments?
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks homer,thats what I needed to know.
    Island he is talking about
    adjustments other
    than normal hieght settings.
    I guess I SAID THAT RIGHT.
    thanks anyway
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

AWM, when you adjust your deck, make sure you have all 4 tires at the proper air pressure. Get the side to side adjustments done first, then do the front to back and make sure you are on a level surface when doing this. The deck pitch should be 1/4" lower in the front than the back. Measure from the blades to the surface you are parked on when doing this.

Walk behinds with out a floating deck should be built at the factory with the proper pitch. About the only way you can adjust some of them is with tire pressure.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

You definetely want the front of the blades lower than the rear,by about 1/4.My Dixie came delivered with a reverse pitch of 3/8.It cut terrible in thick grass,thin grass it wasnt to bad.I had the dealer pitch it corectly and it is much better now.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

got it fellas thanks alot
  8. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i saw a guy last year on a toro ztr .it looked like it was broke while he was traveling across the parking lot (to much pitch)after about a hour a went back and saw awsome stripes. so i got home and raised the back of my deck up 1 chain length,i pulled pto and boom a $40.00 mistake,belt came off ond had a chunk out of it.

i still dont see how that guys belts stayed on.i never even had mine pitch that much .

live and learn.