1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Postal Permit

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Perfect Cuts, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Perfect Cuts

Perfect Cuts LawnSite Member

Just had new postcards made up
    also i got a permit from the post office
    mailings now cost me 13 cents a piece to send out
  2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a minimum price you have to pay?
  3. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

What size and is that for any business that is granted a permit? How long does the permit and price last?
  4. STLlawnboy

STLlawnboy LawnSite Member

what kind of initial cost are there to set-up a permit and can your permit work for both post cards and first class mail say invoices. How do you go about setting the permit up
  5. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Permit fees for getting a brand new permit are as follows:
    1. $160 for permit application
    2. $160 for yearly permit fee
    Minimum of 200 pieces for each mailing. The cost per letter depends on how they are sorted and what size of piece it is.
    After the first year you will only have to pay $160 per year total.
    A permit is only worth it if you mail out several times per year, or if you are mailing out thousands at a time. Some local chambers of commerce can do the mailing under their permit and just charge you what it cost them. That's a little something to think about when deciding on becoming a Chamber member.

I would recommend getting only a Standard"junk" mail permit, and using "resident" as the addresse's name. That way no matter who lives there it will get delivered. You could also use names and have an "Address Service Requested" endorsement put on each letter. That way if the customer moves the Post Office will notify you of their new address. If you wish to use these endorsements you pay around 75 cents to be notified of the new address. The letters must have a street address unless they are on a rural route. Rural route letters can have "boxholder" or "resident" without a physical address.

Hope this helps.
  6. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, tell me how this works. When I went and bought stamps for my 10,000 postcards, I was told that there was no way to get reduced postage for postcards. Last time I checked, the US Postal service was the same rates for all of the US.

I would have gladly paid the $320 for get set up on the reduced postage and I still would, I just need to know the benefit and how your postcards are being mailed.

Are you sending to a zip code, filling certain routes, or are you targeting certain homeowners? That could make a difference.
  7. Perfect Cuts

8. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Postcards can be discounted also. The rates are 18.6 cents each if they are sorted by zip code. If they are not sorted by zip code the price each can go up to 22 some cents. These are considered first class mail so if the named customer moves they will get forwarded for no charge.
  9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. I know what the permit is, but I cannot find the rates on postcards or the criteria that you have meet to be able to get that rate. I think that there are certain things you must do like sort you bulk mail by Zip, and maybe even by delivery route within a zip to get some of the bulk mail discounts. That is the information that I was more inclined to try to obtain so that I can see where the benefit is to get my permit #.
  10. Perfect Cuts

This is a very good method of advertising. It works .
    i bought the list by zip code and by income my mailing wont go to any household with less than 50,000 dollars a year. Pretty much it saves you alot of time