Postcard question...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jon99, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

For the people that send postcards, do you address them yourselves?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Actually I'm in the middle of designing them now, and yes I will be addressing them myself utilizing a label. However, I'm doing less than 1,000 per mailing and only plan on doing three mailings...one now, a flyer in mid-march and another followup flyer in April.

3. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought 1500 and have 400 left over from last year...

What kind of labels do you use???? Tried to send them thru a printer and couldn't get it to work... Hand wrote the ones I sent out last year and it looked bad..

4. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

What program are you using to try to print them? Microsoft Word? And do you know what size the labels are? It should say the size on them somewhere. If so, check out the instruction document that I attached.

Attached Files:

5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

A mailing service is the best thing to use for postcards. Look in the yellow pages to find one near you.

You simply order the postcards, drop them off at the service, and they will pull up a list that has most any qualification that you want (zip code, income, property size, etc.) and they will address them and mail them for you. This is all for less than $0.30 per postcard including everything. I bet that it costs you more than that to do it yourself once you include the stamp, postcard price, mailing list, and of course your time.

6. LB1234

We bought a laser color printer for about $900 bucks last year. Bought a 250 sheet ream of paper (Heavy Card Stock, Ivory, Smooth Finish, 8.5x11, 110#). Cost around 8 bucks, say 10 and can get it cheaper if you buy bigger. 3 color laser cartridges $100/ea., black laser cartridge $75. Photoconductor unit...i dunno say $250.

Assuming we do 5k postcards, thats four per page so for 10 bucks we get 1k cards (yes, we need to cut it to size on the paper cutter). So 50 bucks gets us to 5k. We still have all the original ink cartridges from last year. Black will need to be replaced soon. Assuming every year for the black and everyother for the color...keep in mind its the everyday business/personal printer. Assume business paid for printer so that cost doesn't get factored in (big assumption I know)

So, we have $50 for 5k cards, $225 in cartridge costs. I'm at about $300 per 5k postcards...or $0.06 per card. Now, you are corret I spend a lot of time printing labels, cutting postcards, adhering labels. Lets assume it takes me 8 hours labor and I pay myself $35/hr to do this. That's another $300 added in. So at 600 per 5k postcards I'm at $0.12 per postcard compared to about 30-35 per postcard...keep in mind neither cost involves postage...too many variables.

My point is, it can save you money, IF you have the time in the offseason to prepare everything.

7. LB1234

Office Depot, Multiu-Purpose Inkjet/laser address labels 1x2-5/8, 2550 labels, 30 labels/sheet.

I use microsoft word and download the template from the internet site for office depot. Some adjustments were neccessary to fit the labels correctly to the printer.

8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I just spent $0.045 per postcard and someone else did all the work of printing them for me. So far, you are spending $0.015 more than me - and I don't have any labor involved.

That $0.30 per postcard was for everything including printing, postage, and a mailing list - everything.

Now, after you have spent many hours printing and cutting, you still need to get that mailing list and put them on the postcard. Then you have to put the stamp on.

Tell me again how you are saving money? I am figuring you are spending $.06 for the postcard, $.03 for the list, and $0.23 for the stamp. That gives us $0.32 per postcard and you are spending multiple hours doing all of this.

Actually, my price of $0.30 per postcard was a high estimate. More likely, I will pay about the same amount that you are paying for your stamps.

9. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Gotprint.com 5000 post cards 99.00 check it out

10. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

I think if you select the Avery Standard - 5160 labels in Microsoft Word they should work. See picture.

Labels.jpg