Postcards, Mailings blah blah blah

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tthomass, Jun 7, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I played with it a little in early spring, got nothing. I didn't dive in and spend a lot of money but my opinion, scew them. I get 99.9% of my business through referrals, community "stuff" and networking.

Food for thought.

2. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Direct mailing is a gamble in my opinion. Too early, too late, too bad! To maximize potential you need to get the pieces out a minimum of 3 times per house approximately every 2 weeks. I guess it is good for (more) name recognition but overall I haven't had great success with it either.

3. fknippenberg

fknippenberg LawnSite Member

Direct Mail can be tricky - Make sure your using a good list, verified that people live there, and then some key demographic info, such as income, home value etc.

Expect less than a 10% return on everything you send... Send out 5000 pieces and you'll get less than 500 calls.

Also make sure you are advertising a GREAT offer and give them a reason to call.

Just sending out a postcard with your name and phone number is sure to generate ZERO. You must give them a reason to call you.

4. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I do great with mailing postcards , sent 950 to 1 subdivision, so far about 18 new monthly lawn maintenance customers from it and im sure some more will call.

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

From what I have seen you seem to do larger projects... seems like mailers wouldn't be the best way to get 10-50k jobs.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Direct Mail is how i am building my business. So far off direct mail this year i have signed a 14k job, 35k job, and a big six figure job.

You need to use direct mail correctly to get the right results.

Oh yea, do not look at your precentage of phone calls. Look at what you sign.

7. Lawnworks

from usa

Do you have an image of your advertisement?

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Yeah I'm not after lawn services but design/build. I targeted a few specific neighborhoods that I keep an eye one. I just thought back to the late winter when everyone was scrambling for a mailer that it seems people often forget to use resources.

Did I mail mulitple times to these people? No.......if I had then yeah I'd got something but I have plenty of work coming in from only networking that its not always necessary to mail.

I may get something together to go out this summer to line up fall installations.

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I can not spill all the beans.

Every company is different. What works for me in my market, might not work for you.

10. Lawnworks

from usa

I understand. It seems like my larger jobs are all referalls. The last few jobs we have done 13k, 40k, 15k, 12k... have all been referrals. The ones from my advertising are usually under 10k. It seems to me until you really brand your company name... people that haven't heard about you are a little more nervous to spend the big money.