1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Postcards

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Grace9508, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Grace9508

Grace9508 LawnSite Member

Has anyone used post cards?

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I did a 2000 post card direct mailing at the beginning of the season and got some calls. Not as many as I wanted but not to bad.

3. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

I sent 5000 out direct mail. Got a great response and they were DEFINATELY worth it. (Made over $15K from them this year!) I'll be doing another 10,000 this spring in target areas.

4. Grace9508

Grace9508 LawnSite Member

Thats awesome Tyler where did you get them from and what did you advertise?

5. Tyler7692

I got them from www.plan-itgraphics.com and advertised everything from lawn care to installs and snow removal. I sent them my logo and told the guy what I wanted it to say, he sent me a proof, and I liked it. Worked out good. I plan on getting some brochures drawn up here soon. Very professional looking.

6. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Tyler- If you don't mind me asking how is the pricing. If you do not want to give numbers, I'll just call and get a quote, but I was just curious.

7. Tyler7692

Pricing is on the website (hit printing services button on left side).

I think the postcards are a great value, its mailing them that will kill you.

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the info.

9. SSmith

SSmith Banned

Postcards appear to be the best method. Its actual mail...people will most likely glance at it at the very least. Personally, I throw anything hanging on my doorknob or laying on my doorstep straight into the trash.

Yeah, sending out something like 10k postcards will cost you 2-3k, but it's definitely worth it. You'd need to pick up about 3 new customers that you mow the entire year to break even on the advertising. Chances are you're gonna get around 10 times that many, but any more than that is still a profit. Those new customers are also new opportunities for other services (mulch, seeding, hardscapes, whatever else you do). Plus, if impressed, they can help you gain more customers too. I see little risk in going the postcard route if you do it correctly.

10. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

My Questions is WHEN? When is the MOST EFFECTIVE time to get these out there, I want to maximize my output this year and gain another 60 customers. I am going to send out 10,000 postcards and hope that the 1-2% return rate is doable. Cross my fingers!!! :)