Postemergent cradgrass control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BryanB, Jun 18, 2001.

1. BryanB

BryanB LawnSite Member

What is the favorite for crabgrass control this time of year. Preferaly granular but sprayable if it is better. Where can you get it?

2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

you need to have a license to spray weeds for customers in most states. And most folks that are licensed know the answer to you rquestion. that being said, this topic has been discussed on the pesticide application side of this site. Dave g

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

MSMA or Drive. A search of "Crabgrass control" would answer your question and more.

Ray

4. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

We use Acclaim, works great.

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I use TrimecPlus for post control of Crabgrass and Yellow Nut Sedge. I am looking for something that is not as air temp sensitive. If you spray it over 80-85 degrees, it will kill everything! But, it does zap the heck out of large mature Crabgrass and Nut Sedge when you can spray it.

I use it as a spot spray only!

I just spoke to my extension rep and my pesticide dealer rep the other day and they both recomended Diminsion for Crabgrass and Manage for Yellow Nut Sedge. I have both coming on next weeks truck.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have been using Trimec plus (MSMA) for crabgrass and nut sedge control for years with just so-so results. This year i went to my lesco dealer to buy drive 75 but since they were out i bought acclaim. The recomneded rate is 1/2 ounce per 1,000 square feet. How well does this product work? Does that rate sound about right? It was 60 dollars for a quart... better work better than trimec plus!

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Its to late for Dimension here,the crabgrass is in the 3+ leaf stage already.

8. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

Skokum: DIMENSION is a Pre-emergent crabgrass control, no? Isn't it a little late to be using it?

9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Dimension is a pre-emergent, with post emergent control of non-tillered crabgrass. Of course this stage is barely visible. So best use of Dimension would be if you are late or high temps are early - just insurance in case you had some germination a few days to 2 weeks before your application.

For control of visible crabrass, we have had good success with Acclaim ever since it came on the market. Best to use it when temps are really up, 80+ up into 90s. That is when crabgrass is really actively growing, and cool season grasses are only slightly active - most of chemical is absorbed in crabgrass and little in bluegrass. I have seen stunting of bluegrass for 4-6 weeks when Acclaim was applied in low to mid 60s, because bluegrass was actively growing and absorbed a large amount of herbicide. Have heard of damage to bluegrass when applied at high temps, but I have often applied in the 85-95 range and get great weed control and no damage - just be sure on mixing and appl rates. Have also heard of good results with newer Drive 75.

Yellow nutsedge control in IN: Manage of course. Just don't skimp - use the surfactant. Only complaints I have heard of are from those who don't use it.

10. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Used to use MSMA. Applied 2-3 apps with ho-hum results.

Then changed when Acclaim came out: worked 10 times better with less turf injury.

Then changed when Drive 75 came out: worked 5 times better yet with NO turf injury.

That stuff is AWESOME.

Drive 75, Confront and Manage are the 3 herbicides I'm in love with.
    I guess just because I remember what it was like before them.