1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Postmaster called

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grassdaddy, Mar 10, 2003.

1. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Got my first call from postmaster today.He didn't appreciate my fliers stuck on mailboxes!In the last couple yrs I've put out couple thousand,but never a call from PM.Has anyone ever got fined for this,or are they blowin smoke??:(
  2. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

what a jerk. Someone either compalined or the dude has nothing else better to do. It is not against the law to place ads outside the mail box. Everyone does it, your not the only one.
  3. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

My Grandmother used to a rural mail carrier and mentioned once that they were to report misuse of postal property. She also said that even though the mailbox was purchased by the homeowner once it's up it's considered postal property and to use it for any thing other than the U.S Mail is a federal offense . I'm not trying to get down on you for putting out fliers , I don't agree with these rules myself But I'm pretty sure my source of info knew what she was talking about.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I once had to go back and take 440 of them (I was selling firewood one winter) from mailboxes in a townhome development. At the time, I didn't know it was illegal. I forget how much the fine was...enough though for me to go and remove them.
  5. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

From my experiance the postmasters like to blow alot of smoke....ussually get a couple of calls from different offices each spring. I ussually just call them back and explain to them i had a new employee doing that route and it wont happen agian.

Ive got to make a living too :)
  6. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

After your warning, future ads will be collected and the post office will send a bill for postage.

It is always better to follow the law.
  7. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

if the mail box belongs to the P.O. after i put it up then when it gets run over they should replace it. Heres something i don't like about the P.O. they use are tax money to run ads saying they ship lower than places like UPS and FEDX and these co. don't get our tax dollars to place ads.
  8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Cos Shame on you! Shame on you for misleading Grassdaddy! Or, Shame on you for not knowing postal regulations. Reguardless it is against postal regulations to put anything in or on a mailbox without proper postage. The info is right on their web site. I would have coppied it but the site locked up and just about everybody knows the rule anyway. Guess they need to raise postage so they can better their site. Obviously it is up to the individual whether he wants to take a chance. But it "is" against postal regulations. lOOk it up!
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good point...I never see the Road Department repairing a mailbox that was damaged from snow plowing on their account. We pay the initial expense of puting it up, snow plow knocks it over, Post Office says it's their's, and we have the expense of replacing it. Plus you don't get your mail until it's fixed.

10. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think you can even look at the things let alone touch them or hang anything on them,I got a real scare for stuffing one full of snow when I was a kid.