1. Black Ice Guru

Black Ice Guru LawnSite Member

i live in the ann arbor ypsilanti area the roads are so bad here i get my swerve on in and out of the pot holes so much that i worry the police will think im drunk.the last snow we had here i broke a tie rod.i know it had to do with the wear and tare of the roads with the plow on it.im looking to put some heavy duty air bag shocks on the truck because i want try to prevent any further damage. any suggestions? i know you detroit guys no what im talking about i hate going east ive seen pot holes that would kill. hehehe

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

This year has been real bad for potholes,it seems like its 40 degrees for 3 days-then drops to 10-20,this cycle kills blacktop,we have had this cycle about 7 times this season already.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

And I thought Michigan was the only state with crappy roads. lol

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

around here when they fix them (or try ) they spray the tar and then shoot stone over top. Every time inbetween snows they have to redo this and the amount of stone they put over it is unbelievable. they spray a handfull of holes and cover the road with stone which is wonderful if your behind a truck. Then it snows and the plows go by and fling stones in the yards. some peoples yards along this stretch look to be about an inch deep with stone up to mabey 20 feet in (i wouldnt want to be the one to rake that up in the spring) cant even see the grass.

5. Black Ice Guru

Black Ice Guru LawnSite Member

oh i forgot i cant wait to have to drive in all the construction traffic jams this summer the new roads they fixed this year you can see the seams cracking.i better have the ac working or it will be like walking through he#! with gasoline boxer's on

6. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER LawnSite Member

B.I.G., I installed the airlift air bags on my truck and it does take some of the strain off the frontend and lifts the truck about 2". As far as helping with potholes I don't think ANYTHING can help with the potholes I've seen around here :( .

7. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

I don't care what anyone says. Michigan has the worst roads in the country. I have traveled many states and have never seen any thing like it.

8. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Pot holes!?!?!?! They're more like craters here!!!

My truck is about 20+feet long, and it's almost been swallowed whole by a few of theses things!!![​IMG]

-Tim

[Edited by SlimJim Z71 on 02-15-2001 at 07:52 PM]

9. allabout

allabout LawnSite Member

Hay Tim if your in Palatine drive down plum grove rd. towards woodfield it like 4 weeling off rd.

10. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Havn't dared to go down that way yet without a spare axle in the truck!!! LOL

Seriously though, even the potholes on Rt. 14 are pretty big. Now that I think about it though, we have had quite a few freeze/thaw cycles. My sinus's are going nuts lately... one day it's in the 40's, next it's only 15. That's enough to mess anything up.

-Tim