potassium help lawn blight?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by clayslandscape, Jun 17, 2013.

1. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Does potassium help blight in a lawn? I have a customer that has it bad and had heard potassium would help. If that is the case, where could I get it and how to apply
  2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

A kelp concentrate with sulfate of potash should help.

One example-Aggrand. http://www.aggrand.com/Store/Products/kelp.aspx

Mix and spray or use hose end sprayer. It will strengthen the turf and allow it to fend for itself against disease and insect attacks. Not so much attacking the blight itself, but by assisting in building the turfs immunity against it.
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

What is the client doing to his lawn that makes it susceptible to whatever type of blight you are experiencing???
    Does the whole neighborhood have it becuz of the wether? OR does it only infect his area??

Eliminate the cause before looking for a cure... :)
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Blight? Exactly what kind of disease does it have? What kind of grass?
    Are we talking brown patch on tall fescue?
    I am sure you already know this but take a look at university information...

Fungicide is best, but...
    I doubt that it would help much--but potassium is available as muriate of potash 0-0-62, at any farm elevator. Apply as dry, but it has a high burn potential. Or apply as liquid dissolved in water; don't burn the grass; no more than 50 pounds in 200 gallons of water.

Or perhaps a high potash formula like Everris Osmocote Bloom 12-7-18--premium type--and price.

In the long haul, an over seed with a higher quality more disease-resistant grass is probably the best bet.
  5. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

She has been simply over fertilizing. So now she calls be to help out.
  6. Smallaxe

So many times the turf would be better off if people just left it alone,,, instead of doing everything under the sun to make it better... if she's over-fertilized,,, she's probably over-watered too and her soil doesn't breathe at all...
  7. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear a lot of things like this all the time. Fert salesmen and people who don't know any better refer to K as the "stress nutrient." But, no research has ever supported that notion. Most research involving K and stress report that when K is not deficient in the soil, plants tolerate stress better than when K is deficient. They go on to say that adding K when soil test K is not deficient does not improve stress tolerance.

So, if you want to be sure, test your soil and see where the K levels are. If they are deficient, you might benefit from K applications. If they aren't deficient, adding more K won't help you.
  8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

This is an excellent point. It is so fundamental to sound turf care and is commonly overlooked.
  9. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the last 2 posters. However -

You can reduce Pythium blight pressure with a spray application of potassium phosphite due to the increased production of phytoalexins.
  10. Smallaxe

Please expound... I'm not sure that I'm following your point... :)