potential client

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by youngbuck, Apr 2, 2005.

1. youngbuck

youngbuck LawnSite Member

i got a call from a retired old man asking for a estimate so i went to his house and he had a little over a half acre i told him 35 a cut he looked at me like i was nuts and said well i just moved up from Florida and a guy did it for 65 a month! i told him im sorry but u wont find anyone steady for the whole year for 65 dolors. i was wondering if u guys think i did the right thing. i told him also i would give him a free mow for every referal. he said that he was going to call around somemore.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yes that was the right thing. I would've burned rubber gettin away from em

3. GORE LAWN AND LANDSCAPE

GORE LAWN AND LANDSCAPE LawnSite Member

:drinkup: When he finds out nobody else will do it that cheap
    he will realize he's going to pay more. I wouldnt do it that cheap, im in this bussiness to make a living as im sure you are. good luck!

4. youngbuck

youngbuck LawnSite Member

thanks guys do u think he has someone to do it all year long for that price in florida or do u think he was lieing

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on whether he had a reliable and established lco (then he's lying) or whether he had just a guy with a mower and line trimmer (he MIGHT be telling the truth). There are lots of guys in Florida who will work for next to nothing (some legal, many not) because they have families to feed - just like the rest of us - only they're likely to be genuinely desperate (and willing to work for less) if they're not legal.

6. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

Did he mean 65 per month for 6 months or 12 months. I had a guy tell me that I was way too expensive, i told him 35.00 per week and he almost fell over, said the last guy was only 75.00 per month...he meant for 12 monthly payments. lol

7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

WE need some Florida LCO's on this thread, but the guy may have been telling the truth. It's pretty cut-throat down there, I hear.
    Just tell him that you heard lawn mowing was cheap down there, prices are different everywhere.

8. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

From this part of Florida the prices seem too vary. I charge 65.00 per acre, last year it was $50.00 per acre. Last year would take almost any thing.This year not, no more free est gas is at $2.30 per gallon.

Never qt per week it is always per month based on 42 cuts per season. the only customers that have gotten any type of a break are the ones that went last year. New customers come on at a higher rate and i tell every one they pay up front of the month at this time because of the gas prices.

The biggest pain down here is when school gets out and the kids want to cut it for some spending money they make It bairly half way through and then people call.Unless they are close to where i live i tell them i not taking on any more, even though i would like more , because of this gas thing i have to watch where i go.

We have are share of low ballers down here , this one guy that mows in my neighborhood only charges $25.00 per month to cut yards.Then you have the fireman who do this for taxes reasons they give the stuff a way in this area of town . I went to a house that was a lead from a buddy of mine qt the $130.00 per month she said that a fireman was doing it last season for $100.00 per month, so i said have you heard back from him lately, her answer was no. I got the yard for $120.00 per month, but she will have to go all-year.

Others have been advertising mim cuts $15.00 dollars in their ads, man they just ruin it for all of use .When i advertise i do not say any thing about what i charge, that is taken care of when i look at the yard. payup