1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Potential customer asks for references...what do you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrunswickMowing, Jun 30, 2005.

1. BrunswickMowing

BrunswickMowing LawnSite Member

Had a person answer my ad today via email and asked for references. Im a bit reluctant to give them contact information of my customers. I wouldn't appreciate it if I was called by someone asking me about the quality of work someone did for me.

What do you tell someone who asks for references?
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I have a few folks that I've worked for for a long time that have given me permission to give out their numbers as references. If a potential customer asks, I give them 2 or 3 of those people. That happens infrequently, though.
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You know, you could ask to check THEIR credit!
  4. BrunswickMowing

Ha! That's good!
  5. BrunswickMowing

Would a statement such as "As far as references, I do not give out my customer's contact information, just as I would not give out any information about you should you choose to become a customer." be prudent?
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Why not give the references?
  7. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Instead of phone numbers, give them addresses of properties you service so they can see what they'd be getting from you.
  8. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

same here...I have list ready to go with start dates of cust. I use a couple that date back 3-4 years and and a couple 1-2 years and couple newbies that started this year just to have diversity. no big deal.
  9. Wil22

Wil22 LawnSite Member

I show pictures of work that I've done, etc. trimming hedges and that worked for me. maybe carry a book with before and after photos.

10. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

just ask some of your clients if you could use them as refferences. i have 4 that i've asked so when someone asks i already have their permission.