Potential customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadsLawn, Aug 9, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone had a potential customer and ask you for some addresses to your currrent customers so he/she can go by and see yu work? I had 1 call me saturday and ask me that. I told him I couldnt do that, but I was going to take pictures and I would put them on my website.

He emailed me back and asked my to come over Monday around 7ish pm. I did we chatted he seemed alittle pickey. But I gave him a quote. He said I was higher, but he'd give me a shot. So I went to look around again, when I came back to the front he was telling his current LCO what a ****** job he was doing and fired him on the spot.
    I then told the guy he should of givin him a 2 weeks notice. He said F him. Well I went to my truck and grabbed a service agreement (which states to give me a least a 2 week notice in BOLD lettering) He read and signed.

Chad

2. ChadsLawn

bump to the top

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Many contractors keep a list of customers that they can use for references. I would have had no problems giving the guy a few address (no names) of my "a" list clients. I would even ask some of your better customers if you can use them as a reference (name and phone number) just in case people ask in the future. No better way to get a job than to have a current customer brag about you to someone else.

4. ChadsLawn

I agree to a point. In this day and age, I dont trust anyone. Especially someone Ive only talked with on the phone.

The phone number maybe, if its ok with the customers.

Thats 1 reason why I put a message board on my website also.

5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

my three best customers have agreed to be refrences for me and said i can give their phone #'s to potenital clients if the prospect requests refrences. it has landed me several new ones, and has also saved me from a pita in one case.

i also keep some photos in the truck of work we do.

6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I have one reference and the customer said it is ok. Just never give out prices of other customers lawns. I had a painter ask me what I cut a lawn for (he was painting the house while I was cutting). I said I can't give out prices.

7. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

should have just told him "the same reason you paint houses to make money"